. .
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Put an precision rod in the spindle and use the 2010 Probing wizard?
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

but that needs an insulated workpiece or spindle to function no?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    How accurate does it have to be?

I've been known to just slowly jog in with an endmill going at slow(ish) speed until it just touches the material.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Well, pretty accurate i guess - features on both sides have to match up ;)

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It should be just as good as edge finder, but it'll depend on how good your eyesight is ;-)
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Ok, the tool length offset table ;)

I'm going to try R8 ER collet chucks as a repeatable method of tool holding, have asked many people and resounding reply was yes it should be plenty accurate enough for this style of machine.

1 - With the tool offsets, can I measure them using the Z axis probing and touch-plate setup?

2 - I guess i need a "default tool zero" or some such to enable a reference length to be kept and then measure all tool against that one?

3 - If i was using the tapping head, i would need to lower the knee about 5", ref the surface again, tap the threads then return the knee to the higher position. Fit the next tool, set the tool number in Mach3, ref the surface and good to go again??

Am i on the right tracks here?

Well, i now have a Haimer 3d-Taster for edge referencing, nice little tool, if i ever get the mill project finished it will come in handy ;)

I also have a bundle of ER32/R8 collet chucks for tool-holding.

And I have just about sussed out tool length offsets, I have a neat little macro that will take the reading from the Z axis after setting with the Haimer, then asks for each tool to be inserted, does a Z probe to the plate and then saves the offset into the tool table :) In use, i just pick up the Z ref with the Haimer then choose whatever tool i want from the table.

Ok, software.....

I am getting pretty good at 2d on Sheetcam and Vectric Aspire but is there a need for Fusion360 and when would I need it??

I have it installed and have played with it but i do not find it intuitive, its very complex and there seem to be no tool-tips or pop-up help. Lots of stuff on the 'tube but all seem to move very fast and make it look easy.

The only benefit i can see yet is that it does adaptive clearing which Sheet-Cam and Aspire do not.

What sort of job would need cam generating in Fusion that I could not do in my other two apps????

If its not needed, i won't learn it as I am not 20 any more and already have enough to learn ;)

I would describe F360 as a good 3D CAD package with a pretty good integrated CAM package. I use F360 for design, and then it is pretty natural to just carry on with the CAM module. On the other hand, if I want to do something fairly straightforward I might well do it in VCarve (just cut-down Aspire...) because it quick and easy. No need to use F360 just for CAM, I would have thought.

Ok, so what sort of part would make you say "well thats a F360 job" over "i'll just do that in Vcarve" ??

I can see that working with the 360 view model is good, complex but good, but it seems most stuff can be done with just 2d views?

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Ok, so what sort of part would make you say "well thats a F360 job" over "i'll just do that in Vcarve" ??

I can see that working with the 360 view model is good, complex but good, but it seems most stuff can be done with just 2d views?
    I was thinking exactly the same question yesterday night.

The short answer is:
    if you are doing X pieces, do it simply and using simple software. If you are to be doing more than XXX pieces, then use more powerful CAM where accordingly spend more time for tuning and perfecting toolpaths.

But when to jump from one method to the other is a question of how much time designing is worth the effort. Another story is that you will have always to invest time in learning better software so one day you could do your job better.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information