. .
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks all, i can see that most stuff is possible in 2 or 2.5d software - the big difference as said above is where parts must fit together and you need to make alterations without redrawing all the attaching points and parts - this is a real pain in 2d software.

I will carry on as i am but continue to play with F360 when i get a quiet moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Thanks mate, I`m gonna bookmark that one for future reference

Hmm, watched a couple of vids on the 'tube, played about a bit and managed to recreate the back plate for the Z-Axis drive on my bridgeport conversion project, previously made via 2d cad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z axis vertical v6.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	19003

With a couple of years practice, i might just get the hang of F360 after all ;)

This took me about 2 hours.

Ok, simple task, used to do it manually by guesswork mainly ;)

I have a block of metal, rough-sawn on two edges, say i need to make this exactly 50mm wide from these two edges.

Square and clean up one edge by doing a facing pass on it but remove just enough to clean it,
    Zero the Z axis on the base of the vise or whatever the part is held in,
    Rotate the part and run a pass or passes to arrive at Z50.00

Is that a reasonable plan for a seemingly simple task?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Do you mean Z-50?
    Last edited by Clive S; 08-09-2016 at 11:41 AM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Ok, simple task, used to do it manually by guesswork mainly ;)

I have a block of metal, rough-sawn on two edges, say i need to make this exactly 50mm wide from these two edges.

Square and clean up one edge by doing a facing pass on it but remove just enough to clean it,
    Zero the Z axis on the base of the vise or whatever the part is held in,

Is that a reasonable plan for a seemingly simple task?
    That's the way I do it as well, but I am just an amateur.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Do you mean -Z50?

No, he means Z+50.

His reference for Z0 is the base of whatever holds the work piece, i.e. the bottom of the work piece. First time surfacing only, after that turning the work piece around and referencing Z0 to the surfaced side (now the bottom of the work piece) and lifting the Z to Z+50 to get the work piece exactly 50 wide. If he needs to cut far too much then he lifts Z over 50 and uses as many passes as necessary to arrive and stop at Z+50. At least if he is doing it the way I do, and the way I interpreted his words.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 08-09-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Excellent, yes it would be Z50 as ref is the base on the last setup.

Thanks again :)

How many feed rates do we all use for the same tool?

Using my freed-rate calculator i get different feeds for slotting or profiling, even though the tool may do both types of cut in the same part.

So, set different feed rates for each process or take the worst case (usually slotting) and stick with that rate??

How many feed rates do we all use for the same tool?

Using my freed-rate calculator i get different feeds for slotting or profiling, even though the tool may do both types of cut in the same part.

So, set different feed rates for each process or take the worst case (usually slotting) and stick with that rate??
    If you slot obviously you check slot /profile scenario.

if you HSM / trochoidal/ you unmark slot/profile but just use the data for the angle/% for your CAM and then mark again slot/profile if you do not use some kind of ramping clearing entrance in material. But most possibly CAM does that so you just make sure to correct depth of cut

Be careful of V and engravers though, where you must always use slot/pocket mark.

After that we have roughing feed rate, then finishing feedrate. Meanwhile if working on wood-non chipping feedrate. while working on aluminum we have deep pocket feedrate, non coolant feedrate, etc...

As you say same tool can do both but make sure to program then each path separately and then make sure tool have same number, otherwise program will stop and ask for tool change
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 08-11-2016 at 11:31 PM.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information