Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
Hi Dave,

Just knocked this together to help work it out.

You can use one of the 3 look up tables depending on if the chamfer tool is 90, 60, or 45 deg.

Then assuming you use a notional tool diameter of 4mm as suggested above by needleworks in the CAM tool definition, then you just need to look up the required chamfer distance you require (C) and read off the depth of cut required (P) and enter this value into the CAM software.

I've not tried this out but I think it is OK. Please check on a scrap piece first (!).

Any errors spotted by anyone let me know . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chamfer_formula.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	18590

While we are here. Just in tune with your calculations /that i will have to save somewhere/ - i needed a couple of times to calculate a V cutter flute length /FL/. Reason was i have V cutters that cut deeper than their flutes, a mix between V cutter and spiral flute mill, where the flute ends at shank width. Wow, it took me some time to figure how to calc these so i could draw them properly in program. Properly means exactly without any errors.

I read here how to calculate the flute length
Link,
the formula for sides of Isosceles Triangle, so i came up with FL=((shank diam - tip diameter)/2)/cos((180-vertex angle)/2)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	109924639_294.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	18990