. .

Thread: Total newbie.

Hi Guys, Greetings from the Emerald Isle, total newbie here so looking for all the help I can get. I'm a retired central heating engineer and looking to take up a new hobby. Just about to build an ox machine (1000 x 750 ) from Ooznest and I've also ordered some starter routing sets from www.routercutter.co.uk.

i'm also looking for a little help in can anyone identify this router style in this image. I have to make an off standard door W595 x H500 in MDF and would like to be able to replicate the design. From edge to edge of the router cut is 48mm. The inner and outer cuts are not similar so probaly was done with two or more cutters. Anyway all help and suggestions would be more than grateful. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen door.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	18541

The photograph is not very crisp but as far as I can see, the corners of the outer (frame) moulding are very sharp. This does not look as if it was cut as a single panel as you cannot machine sharp internal corners like this with a router. You can see this in cheap doors made from a single MDF panel - the internal corners are rounded. The frame was probably made from four components and the moulding machined before assembly. I would guess that you could probably match the moulding shape with a commercially-available router bit but it's a matter of ploughing through cutter catalogues to find a matching profile. More likely, the mouldings were cut on a spindle moulder which gives you access to many more moulding profiles, but we're moving away from the CNC area now!

Welcome, I am often over your neck of the woods Longford, Strokestown and Elphin area, but would hate to be a central heating engineer over there with some of the oil fired systems I have had the misfortune to repair over there in the past.

I agree would be far too much material to cut away on production runs so probably spindle moulded and applied, may have to just get the angles and use two or more cutters.
    Last edited by lucan07; 02-06-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucan07 View Post
    Welcome, I am often over your neck of the woods Longford, Strokestown and Elphin area, but would hate to be a central heating engineer over there with some of the oil fired systems I have had the misfortune to repair over there in the past.

I agree would be far too much material to cut away on production runs so probably spindle moulded and applied, may have to just get the angles and use two or more cutters.
    Hi Lucan, thanks for welcome and reply. I'm 16 miles north of Longford town in a small place called Granard. Just getting in to this and looking fwd to finding out all about this exciting new to me hobby.

Rushing out the door now to video a football match so will catch up later.

Welcome from another part of the Emerald Isle, fairly close to you, I am near Tulsk. Been using my 1325 machine for a couple of years now and still plenty to learn.

Thanks for the welcome alboy. Not sure what a 1325 machine is, is it a self build or did you buy it in? I dont expect to have my machine up and running for at least another week, maybe two. I have a lot to learn but looking fwd to the experience. Perhaps we can collaborate on some projects. Is it mainly wood you are working on?

1325 is a largish machine that will take a full sheet of 8 x 4 with a bit extra space, I bought this one, yep I work mainly with wood, custom signmaking mostly. Always willing to help out a fellow cncer :-)

Thread Information