. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    yeah, incredible right? and very well recorded too!

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and in the planing stages of my own cnc router. I'm planing to start with a 2' x 4' cutting bed and use materials that will allow me to upgrade it to a 4' x 8' when i have the space. To do this i'll use 3" x 6" aluminum profile, rack and pinion rail attached to the stepper motors with a drive belt (except for the z axis) and other materials that can be extended or deconstructed. The design is based in part on "Joe's design" (seen being made hear)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ThZws-858M

It being an American video and being based in the UK I have found most of the equivalent parts except for the X and Y motor mounts that link to the rack and pinion rail.

All in all i think i have the design sorted out "in my head" and will start to drew it up in CAD asap.

First of all i would like to ask if anyone has come across this design and what they think of it?

And second, what is the best hardware to buy for something that will be enlarged in the future (NEMA 34 N.m. 11.2 stepper motor, stepper motor Drivers and so on).

what about the ballscrew diameter? how its calculated? i have 2 x 1300mm length 25mm diameter and 2 x 1000mm but 16mm diameter (1605 i think that is the model).

will be the 16mm very small for the Y Axis? im thinking abt purchase 20mm Hiwin rails as you guys recommend me maybe 2 x 1000mm to get close to 800 mm of travel.

As i have 1300mmm i need to cut it and will waste like 400mm :(

cut the 16mm will be better for me, because can use the UPN that i purchased today and think that will not fit the 20mm rails + 25mm ballscrew because have just 160mm width.

Samsagaz UPN!!! I think you are going to waste a lot of money if you don't get a drawing together before buying parts. In my opinion the 25mm screws are over the top. Generally on a machine of this size 1610 for x and y and 1605 for z might be a better choice. Good luck with the build.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

For my 4' x 8' table I'm planing to use Nema 34 motors with around 12Nm for the x and y axis. Is it overkill to use the same for the Z axis (planing for any future upgrades) or should i go for a nema 23 with around 4Nm?

The motors will be driven by rack and pinion.

What would be the best digital stepper drivers, breakout board and power supplies?

Quote Originally Posted by Norgmonster View Post
    For my 4' x 8' table I'm planing to use Nema 34 motors with around 12Nm for the x and y axis. Is it overkill to use the same for the Z axis (planing for any future upgrades) or should i go for a nema 23 with around 4Nm?

The motors will be driven by rack and pinion.

What would be the best digital stepper drivers, breakout board and power supplies?
    Hi and welcome to the forum. First it might be better to start your own thread and then all the questions will be together. I have seen the vid link you posted and although the machine looks nice it won't be that accurate the gantry is too high and the feed rate looks very slow for cutting MDF. Have a read through some of the build logs. and decide what you want to use the machine for.

Don't buy any stuff until you have it drawn up in cad and are happy with the design. An 8 x 4 machine not designed correctly is a bit like digging a big hole in the workshop floor and filling it with hard earned dosh.

Good luck with the build.
    ..Clive

Hi Clive S,

Thanks for replying. I can start my own thread but i thought this was a general thread for people asking about parts.

I know the gantry on that design is to high and i have already dismissed most of it. The guy in the video was living my dream and that's why i liked it :-).

I plan to use proper HGR25 Rails and carriages and the gantry will be much closer but I need the z axis to have about 200mm of travel.

I hope to cut wood, plastics polystyrene, sheet metal.

As I'm designing I also want to work out a shopping list and prices so i know what i can afford.

Any advice on hardware like drivers would be appreciated.

Samsagas/Norgmaster
    Hi Guys
    If you both get a design drawn up you will get a more meaningful response to your questions.
    Norgmaster
    You need to start your own thread.
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Samsagas/Norgmaster
    Hi Guys
    If you both get a design drawn up you will get a more meaningful response to your questions.
    Norgmaster
    You need to start your own thread.
    Regards
    Mike

Well my first idea was something like this for Y fixed gantry...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_Design_01.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	18584Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_Design_02.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	18585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_Design_03.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	18586

i can reinforce the tower welding a plate in diagonal and can reinforce the back of the UPN too welding it too.

if close the structure can fill with sand or similar to get more weight.

i dont want high Z Axis, think that 70-80mm travel will be enough.

Its my old Z Axis idea, i want to avoid welding the parts and use an UPN as show in first image

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_Design_04.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	18587

Sorry for my english
    Last edited by samsagaz; 07-06-2016 at 06:26 PM.

My first observation is that you have to be able to build it and assemble the parts have you thought how you would bolt the bearing blocks to the z plate (I think the blocks are to close together). This is why you should draw it out to see these problems.
    ..Clive

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information