. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm planing a R&P router myself and would like to ask two things?? What do you mean by contamination? And, When you say mount the rack, do you mean something like this?
    Contamination means dirt or swarf getting on to the teeth that is why he said mount them with the teeth facing down Like in the image.
    Last edited by Clive S; 07-06-2016 at 06:19 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

MOD 1 is perfectly fine for R&P machine and most common size used at DIY level. Certainly no need to go above MOD 1.5.
    I've got industrial built 10 x 5 Router with very heavy gantry which is running MOD1.5.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    MOD 1 is perfectly fine for R&P machine and most common size used at DIY level. Certainly no need to go above MOD 1.5.
    I've got industrial built 10 x 5 Router with very heavy gantry which is running MOD1.5.
    Totally fine to go with MOD 1 in that case, quite a lot cheaper than 2.0 as well..

Sorry to chime in but i was wondering if the type of MOD (1 or 1.5) you use is decided by how heavy the gantry ends up being? If so then what is the limit?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norgmonster View Post
    Sorry to chime in but i was wondering if the type of MOD (1 or 1.5) you use is decided by how heavy the gantry ends up being? If so then what is the limit?
    The deciding factor is cutting and acceleration forces, and if the chosen MOD size can handle the required torque/forces.
    As part of that you also have to consider tooth engagement, as a larger pinion will have more teeth engaged at any given time so can handle more torque than a smaller pinion.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Thanks for this info. I'm still working on the designs for my CNC Router so when i'm ready can i ask again?

:-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information