. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Norgmonster View Post
    Could you also have a look at my new designs and let me know what you think (smaller bed, lower gantry and less rails)?
    It's Ok for general layout and better than last but lots of very important details missing or not thought about.! . . Like. How do you fasten the bearings to the Gantry profile.? . . . Z axis .?? Well no detail there at all.!!

Now given the Short length and to be honest even the Gantry isn't massive wide then suggest you use Ballscrews and save lot of hassle. You'll get much better accuracy and far better reliabilty. Won't cost much more money either.

Personally I'd drop the profile that sits on the bearings and increase the height using taller profile or 2 pieces. Then sit the Gantry profile directly on the bearings fasten to a plate.
    I'd also have stiffer gantry. 2 pieces arranged in L config is very stiff. Like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0714.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	403.8 KB 
ID:	18787 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0716.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	846.0 KB 
ID:	18788

Got it :-)

I should be looking to make something like this then:

Name:	PRO_RP_N23_2014_800.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	18789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pro_rp_n34_assembled_2014.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	382.9 KB 
ID:	18790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CRP301-00-01_1920.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	969.9 KB 
ID:	18791

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    It's Ok for general layout and better than last but lots of very important details missing or not thought about.! . . Like. How do you fasten the bearings to the Gantry profile.? . . . Z axis .?? Well no detail there at all.!!

Now given the Short length and to be honest even the Gantry isn't massive wide then suggest you use Ballscrews and save lot of hassle. You'll get much better accuracy and far better reliabilty. Won't cost much more money either.

Personally I'd drop the profile that sits on the bearings and increase the height using taller profile or 2 pieces. Then sit the Gantry profile directly on the bearings fasten to a plate.
    I'd also have stiffer gantry. 2 pieces arranged in L config is very stiff. Like this

Name:	IMAG0714.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	403.8 KB 
ID:	18787 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0716.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	846.0 KB 
ID:	18788

Thanks for the feedback on the new design.

I was thinking to fasten the bearings to the gantry profile using bolts and t nuts that slot into the profile groves.

The x axis will be around 100cm and the gantry (y axis) will be around 150cm. Is this considered small?

No z axis because i wanted to address what i had so fare.

I'm using 80x120 on my x axis. To increase the height, the only larger profile is 80x160 in that range. This would add 40mm. Should i go with two 80x80, one 80x160 or somewhere between?

The L shaped gantry in your photo looks to be using two lengths of 80x120 making the gantry 200mm high. Is this right?

My original plan was to make a router that could be upgraded in size (4'x8') when the time came. That's why i was going for R&P and not ball screws. Is this a practical approach considering that the alternative would mean starting from scratch?

Ill make some alterations and post them soon. :-)

Thanks again,

Norgmonster

The x axis will be around 100cm and the gantry (y axis) will be around 150cm. Is this considered small?
    Not small but still within acceptable range of ballscrews without taking special measures.

The L shaped gantry in your photo looks to be using two lengths of 80x120 making the gantry 200mm high. Is this right?
    Yes ITEM 80x120

My original plan was to make a router that could be upgraded in size (4'x8') when the time came. That's why i was going for R&P and not ball screws. Is this a practical approach considering that the alternative would mean starting from scratch?
    In theory all sounds great but in practice theres that much work and setup goes into machine to start with that you'll probably not want the hassle of converting.
    Personaly I'd build with the intent of building another machine when want larger. You'll then be able to put all you've learnt and design changes into the new improved larger machine. Use the First to build second then Sell it complete and working. If do this right you'll make money rather than costing money converting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information