Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11
    it was a new pc about for the machine maybe just over a year and a half ago running windows 8.1 64 bit I think. the machine is connected via Ethernet cable to a csmio motion controller

    I guess if there is anything I can turn off or get rid of on the pc its worth it to rule it out? (im not much of a computer person though)

  2. #12
    Running via ethernet on a 64bit machine its unlikely to be overheads as Mach3 will not be running the parallel driver to generate pulse the pulse generation is I believe carried out entirely by the CSMIO controller, apart from virus software or windows itself maybe starting housekeeping or attempting to enter power saving mode I cannot think of much that would likely affect it in that way. Turn of any virus software if running and disable power saving and screen savers not much more you can do PC wise. If it occurs after that you may have to look elsewhere for the problem, I haven't used the CSMIO although have one ordered so cannot really advise regarding the controller I would just double check earthing and maybe add EMI / RFI filter if not already fitted.

  3. #13
    Sounds very much like PC related rather than machine. Make sure everything like Updates, Screen savers, Energy saving etc is turned off.
    Have you installed any software lately that's trying to phone home.?

    It's more likely be something silly like this than PSU going down but like been said could be anything so don't trust it and find it before using again.

  4. #14
    Lucan07 your wrong about mach3 not needing much graphics power. Infact it's one of the main reasons people have trouble with mach3 when using PP or lower spec PC's. Just clicking in toolpath screen would lock mach up on some PC's with poor or low graphics. This Big area where mach4 as improved.
    While External controllers do take lot of the work load off Mach3 it can and does still happen with them. Even the Cslabs do it albeit to much lesser degree.

    Charlie While I think it's more PC related just for precautions sake I'd go over the wiring and check for lose connections or any nipped cables etc.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Lucan07 your wrong about mach3 not needing much graphics power
    Not what I said read post it does not need 32bit or High Res option to be pretty if your short on resources.
    Last edited by lucan07; 09-06-2016 at 10:03 PM.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by lucan07 View Post
    Not what I said read post it does not need 32bit or High Res option to be pretty if your short on resources.
    Sorry it read like you ment M3 didn't need Graphics power which it really does but on reading again I see what you meant.! . . . My apology.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 10-06-2016 at 12:11 AM.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    it was a new pc about for the machine maybe just over a year and a half ago running windows 8.1 64 bit I think. the machine is connected via Ethernet cable to a csmio motion controller

    I guess if there is anything I can turn off or get rid of on the pc its worth it to rule it out? (im not much of a computer person though)
    If you still running under Windows 8 then the first thing I'd do is get rid of that, download Windows 10 free of charge (the free offer ends on the 29th July). Mach3 works fine under Windows 10 and if you are not using the parallel port than it should not be a problem at all, unless the dll is a crappy one. Windows 10 is much better than Windows 8 or anything else before, the only possible "disadvantage" is that it no longer supports the parallel port.

  8. #18
    ok many thanks every one i will have to start looking and checking those things though its going to be tricky to know with it being a little intermittent

  9. #19
    m_c's Avatar
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 6 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,834. Received thanks 192 times, giving thanks to others 5 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    via loading g code through a memory stick.
    Just to clarify, are you running code from the memory stick, or copying it to the PC before running?
    I have heard of a few times where running from memory stick/external drives that has caused problems.
    There are settings where USB will go into a low energy/power saving mode after a set time of inactivity, and if it does, it takes a little bit longer for Mach to read the next chunk of code, which can cause it to stall briefly. Copying the file to PC should eliminate that issue though.

    Also, as Jazz mentions, ensure all the power settings are set so the PC is always on. On modern PCs, you usually have to create a new power plan with everything set to always on (Control Panel -> Power Options)
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Just to clarify, are you running code from the memory stick, or copying it to the PC before running?
    I have heard of a few times where running from memory stick/external drives that has caused problems.
    There are settings where USB will go into a low energy/power saving mode after a set time of inactivity, and if it does, it takes a little bit longer for Mach to read the next chunk of code, which can cause it to stall briefly. Copying the file to PC should eliminate that issue though.
    A very good observation... Running code from USB memory is not a very good idea, I didn't think anyone would do that. I use memory sticks to transfer files only, not to run anything from.

    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Also, as Jazz mentions, ensure all the power settings are set so the PC is always on. On modern PCs, you usually have to create a new power plan with everything set to always on (Control Panel -> Power Options)
    Under Advanced settings you can change how the USB is handled but in any case, I'd not run any code from a memory stick.

    The other thing I think may cause issue is the "Look ahead" buffer size in Mach3 or the network card setting. He is using Ethernet to communicate so if the card is allowed to sleep it may cause issues.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mach3 pausing every quarter movment
    By lukecnc2012 in forum Artsoft Mach
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-06-2015, 02:19 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-09-2013, 05:28 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •