. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi Nick
    Thank you for your thoughts. I would like to try and make some aluminium soft jaws like you mention for a job sometime bet it is a great way of holding some parts up there with the best way I would think. I just think for this case the 316 would be a tall order for my machine. I will soon be making some soft jaws for job or another.
    Many thanks
    Steve

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 8 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,726. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    One clear message to take from that video, something that isn't always apparent to someone starting working with machine tools of any kind, is that you can often spend much longer making a fixture and setting up than you do machining. However, that fixture and set-up time are the difference between a successful job and one that flies out of the chuck or ends up with gouges across the workpiece where it slipped in the machine vice. Of course, a big lathe and 12" 6-jaw chuck also help!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Here is an example of when a mini pallet maybe of better use:

https://youtu.be/b2qKy43tJcY

.Me
    I like the idea, but it is a boring (not a deliberate pun) video. I would bore a big hole in the pallet and use a bullnose in the tailstock to position and hold the workpiece while you clamp it down. You can then check the original hole in the workpiece is central with a dial guage, if it matters that much.
    Rob
    Last edited by cropwell; 13-06-2016 at 04:18 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

Guys
    Steve doesn't have a lathe, i asked if he had a faceplate so that i could explain a technique.

Hi Neale, thank you for your thoughts. I see what your saying 100% I have never made the fixture type in question but lots along similar lines.
    Many thanks
    Steve

Hi Rob
    I hope your doing OK there mate. Thak you for the thoughts Rob. Perhaps one day I will get a lathe and I look forward to that day!
    All the best
    Steve

Thanks mekanik, perhaps one day I will get a lathe. That would cause another project extending the workshop!
    Many thanks
    Steve

I think your Triac should manage it, my little benchtop CNC would, the trick is to get your tooling, feeds & speeds, DOC and cutting lube right.

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I think your Triac should manage it, my little benchtop CNC would, the trick is to get your tooling, feeds & speeds, DOC and cutting lube right.

- Nick
    Hi Nick, thank you for the thoughts. I think I would get myself into a whole world of hurt with 316. I am don't know much at all about CNCing and nothing when it comes to 316. I have made some parts out of plastic that worked well but I harldy ever get to use my machine and does'nt help with getting to grips with things. Like you say you would need to know about the tooling feed and speeds and I could write what I know on the back of a postage stamp!
    Many thanks
    Steve

Steve,
    316 isn't anything like as scary as a lot of people make out ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information