. .
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hi guys,

Dave here. I'm designing a new machine for the office in the hopes of carving precision rifle stocks (4 axis) and whatever else is required from hardwood and aluminium. :)

The build is already underway and frame currently ready to be painted.

Details of the build
    ==============

Linear bearings: SBR20 fully supported rails - X:1300mm - Y:1000mm - Z:450mm
    Ball screws: RM2005 Chinese - X:1350mm - Y:1050mm - Z:500mm
    Steppers: Nema23 - 23HS45-4204S
    Drivers: M542H
    PSU: 48V 600w DC

Frame/Chassis: 65x65x3mm box steel
    X axis chassis: 75x75x4mm box steel
    Gantry cross beam: 200x100x5mm box steel
    Gantry supports: 300x125x10mm steel angle
    Z axis supports: 200x480x10mm steel plate

Contrary to most builds on here I do not have a CAD diagram to show as the build is a running design at present. I have very little CAD skills unlike my wife, who regularly makes designs in Solidworks.

Here's some pics of the current build:

original design
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original frame.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	18672

Adjustible feet

Name:	adjustible feet.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	18671

Front on view - all level within ~1mm

Name:	front view.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	18673

Side view

Name:	frame with gantry.jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	18674

Z axis setup.

Name:	z axis.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	18675

Gantry side on.

Name:	gantry side.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	18676

Anyway, thought i'd share guys. let me know what you think. :)

- Dave.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slixxor For This Useful Post:

Looking good so far Dave.
    Any reason for the 2005 ballscrews? The 1605/1610 are more popular because they have lower inertia which helps with the acceleration and deceleration, especially on the modest 48V you are using.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Looking good so far Dave.
    Any reason for the 2005 ballscrews? The 1605/1610 are more popular because they have lower inertia which helps with the acceleration and deceleration, especially on the modest 48V you are using.
    I havent purchased the PSU yet. so may go larger. the motors claim to have a max voltage of 48v. i can get a 60V no troubles but am not sure of the impact that would have on the steppers. As far as the RM2005's goes, i was aiming for a rigid setup for cutting aluminium and didnt want any wobble from ball screws. Feed rate isnt that critical for me.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slixxor View Post
    I havent purchased the PSU yet. so may go larger. the motors claim to have a max voltage of 48v. i can get a 60V no troubles but am not sure of the impact that would have on the steppers. As far as the RM2005's goes, i was aiming for a rigid setup for cutting aluminium and didnt want any wobble from ball screws. Feed rate isnt that critical for me.
    I wouldn't be worried about the steppers but the drives in your spec you have said that you are using these M542H If I am not mistaken the max voltage they will handle is 50V so 48V would be too high for them. AM882 drives would be a better choice running at about 68-70 V.

If you want a decent machine you have to have decent electronics.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I wouldn't be worried about the steppers but the drives in your spec you have said that you are using these M542H If I am not mistaken the max voltage they will handle is 50V so 48V would be too high for them. AM882 drives would be a better choice running at about 68-70 V.

If you want a decent machine you have to have decent electronics.
    Ok, it's now being considered. :) havent bought the drivers yet either. you are right indeed, my voltage restriction was the M542H. price is only AU $20 more per driver.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slixxor View Post
    Ok, it's now being considered. :) havent bought the drivers yet either. you are right indeed, my voltage restriction was the M542H. price is only AU $20 more per driver.
    Ok then if you have not bought the motors either then try and find 8 wire so they can be connected in parallel and get the lowest inductance motors you can find these are proved and tested by many over here :- http://cnc4you.co.uk/resources/Stepp...1B%203.1Nm.pdf.

Good luck with the build.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Ok then if you have not bought the motors either then try and find 8 wire so they can be connected in parallel and get the lowest inductance motors you can find these are proved and tested by many over here :- http://cnc4you.co.uk/resources/Stepp...1B%203.1Nm.pdf.

Good luck with the build.

I have the motors already and all mounting hardware. saving the electronics for last. The AM882's are in the price range. I am running dual ballscrews on the X Axis. so additonal cost. but oh well :)
    Last edited by Slixxor; 15-06-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    You can run both X axis screws with one motor and belt connecting them,it's common practice with the guys on the forum.
    Good luck
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    You can run both X axis screws with one motor and belt connecting them,it's common practice with the guys on the forum.
    Good luck
    Mike

I have noticed that. but whats the go with custom belts? Obviously each machine will differ in length required. Do you simply ask for a particular length?

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    You can get custom belts but they are more expensive, but you have a lot of leeway length wise as you will have adjustment on the motor and your tension/routing belt layout. there was a post on the forum a while ago showing a belt routing setup to address this issue.
    Regards
    Mike

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information