. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hi all , does anyone know what is the bigger size hypertherm plasma you can on 240v..

i know they was a hypertherm rep that used to use this site.
    cant remember there name, or if they are still here.

not sure if its the powermax 45 or 65. ?

cheers all.

The 65 is available in single phase input, at 240v the input current is going to need some special provision.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

i do have 240v 32amp sockets.
    would that be enough....

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by T0rnado69 View Post
    i do have 240v 32amp sockets.
    would that be enough....

cheers.
    I just googled hypertherm, one of the first page of links is the UK distributor, they have PDF spec sheets, there are two types of amp ratings for single phase machines, I don't know what the abbreviations stand for,but for 240v they are twenty-odd amps and forty-odd amps.

To run a powermax 65 from single phase 230v you would need around a 44 amp supply. A powermax 45 will need around a 30amp supply at 230V.

right cheers for the reply..

so im ok currently to run the PM45 on a 240v 32amp socket.
    but to run the PM65 i would need to upgrade the cable to 10mm T&E.
    and MCB to 50amp, and the socket to a 240v 63amp.

EDIT. wow have you seen the price of the 240v 63amp plug and sockets OMG.....
    Last edited by T0rnado69; 16-06-2016 at 01:28 AM. Reason: add info

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rnado69 View Post
    right cheers for the reply..

so im ok currently to run the PM45 on a 240v 32amp socket.
    but to run the PM65 i would need to upgrade the cable to 10mm T&E.
    and MCB to 50amp, and the socket to a 240v 63amp.

EDIT. wow have you seen the price of the 240v 63amp plug and sockets OMG.....
    If this is in a domestic environment you might have to upgrade the consumer unit as well. I think the incoming fuse is rated at 100A but they used to be only 60A. I don't think the electric board would be happy either.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Your best idea would be to get a professional electrician to look at it. The cable sizing depends on the installation method, load and length of run.
    Basically you are installing something with around the same loading as a 10KW shower so your consumer unit and main fuse should be able to handle it ok but you may want to be careful on what else you are using at the same time as running the plasma at full current.
    Yes the plugs and sockets do start to get expensive at that rating. We used to get a specific 125A 3 phase outlet unit for some of our welding machines and they were scary expensive.
    Do you need such a large current for what you are cutting? I have a smaller Jasic 45 plasma. Nice little machine with a 5 year warranty. It doesn't have the same output or duty cycle as the hypertherm but I don't use it that much but it is a lot cheaper. Just a thought.

Not too expensive if you don't need waterproof RCD units -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/63-amp-2P-...-/300887701552

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/63-amp-3-p...-/261197634015

Definitely worth checking what overall current draw your household would have if you went out & fired up the plasma and the compressor kicked in whilst someone indoors put the kettle on and had a quick shower whilst the immersion heater warmed up the water for a proper soak ;-)

- Nick

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Very good Nick the face of doom
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information