. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hello All

I have just got a hitachi wj200-022sf vfd 2.2kw and was wondering how it should be wired to the mains supply. I assume that it has to be wired direct to the mains supply panel and not to a 13 amp plug. What guage wire would be required. I think i'm going to need an electrician to install it. Any information will be gratefully accepted. The vfd is a single phase model and the wiring here is 220 volts (Austria)

Cheers

Andrew

First try to obtain the manual of your VFD and read it thoroughly , it should show you which pins/connectors are the Live, Neutral and Ground. then you can connect them to your power cable with the 13amp plug socket. I use 1.5mm^2 wires for it but you might be able to get away with smaller size.

if not sure about electric work definitely get an electrician to do it and teach you

Find the max rating of your VFD, my teco was quoting 21amp peak current draw. I would recommend you use a 16amp or 32amp socket if you are are going to run all the electrics off one plug. A 32Amp circuit breaker and an industrial RCD will be a good idea too.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Andrew First welcome to the forum.

Re your VFD 2.2Kw at 220V is about 10A at full load which you will hardly ever use the majority of people on here I suggest will be using a standard 13A plug and if it is a short run from the vfd to the socket then 1.5mm cable will be fine.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hi Clive

Thanks for the note. In the instruction manual the recommended wire gauge is 5.3mm² with 30 amp fuses, seems a bit heavy if you ask me. If anyone has any ideas i'm all ears.
    Cheers

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Andrew First welcome to the forum.

Re your VFD 2.2Kw at 220V is about 10A at full load which you will hardly ever use the majority of people on here I suggest will be using a standard 13A plug and if it is a short run from the vfd to the socket then 1.5mm cable will be fine.

Of course, for Austria you're talking the 16A Schuko plug and, I think, the circuit is protected at the distribution unit rather than at the plug. But, to the OP, you should be able to plug into a 16A circuit without worry. 1.5mm2 is a little close to the maximum supply current - you'd be better to use 2.5mm.

Hi Doddy

I checked the amp rating on the side of the VFD and it's rated at 200-240volts 1Ph 24.0/22/.0 Amps So i've a feeling i'm going to have to have it wired into the distribution box directly. Looks like Hitachi build their VFD's with plenty of power. On the output side it's 0.1-580Hz 200-240 volts 3Ph 12.0/11.0 amps so the whole thing seems to be conservatively rated rated. I'll be using it with a 2.2kw chinese spindle which I got from ebay and pleased to say it has no runout on the spindle, not sure about the chuck though.

Cheers

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Of course, for Austria you're talking the 16A Schuko plug and, I think, the circuit is protected at the distribution unit rather than at the plug. But, to the OP, you should be able to plug into a 16A circuit without worry. 1.5mm2 is a little close to the maximum supply current - you'd be better to use 2.5mm.

Andrew it will be fine on standard plug. This is done all the time without problems.

Clive is also correct that 1.5mm2 is fine for the connection between VFD and Spindle. 2.5mm2 should be used from mains to VFD but to the spindle you are better with 1.5mm2 because it's easier to fit into the spindle connection socket and because the spindle is only rated 8A then 1.5mm2 is more than enough.
    In use while cutting you'll rarely if ever pull the full 8A.
    I don't set my VFD to Display RPM just Amps so I can monitor for cutter wear so I'm very aware of the current they pull. For instance milling aluminium 4mm DOC full slot engagement with 8mm 3 flute cutter running 1000mm/min I only pull around 3A when cutter is new. Max is 5A when cutter is so worn it's crying stop.!!
    Only when you jam up or Bog down will you get close or exceed 8A in which case the VFD should be set to Fault if above set amount for any period of time.

Hi Jazz
    Thanks for the reassurance. I'll give it a crack with a normal plug and some heavy wire. I'm a bit nervous about the 22 amp rating on the inverter case. I'd be grateful if any forumites that have used this vfd Hitachi wj200-022sf with a normal plug on it can chirp in with their opinions. I'm going to be using the spindle for wood routing and I know from experience that sharp cutters and and a powerful motor and not to deep cuts leads to a good finish and less stress on the machine and my nerves. I'd like to thank everyone here for their help as this is my first interaction with this forum, and look forward to further posts and replies.
    Thank you all.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

As an electrical/electronic engineer, provided the Austrian/European electrical system is protected at the distribution board at 16A then the protective device will protect the circuit from over current.

My guess, and it is a guess, is the 20+ amps is based on startup draw from the spindle motor, and will be short lived; if sustained then the breaker will trip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information