. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Evening all,

Really need some advice and help on how and what I need to control the spindle on my new Triac with MACH3. The machine as received is completely stripped of all electronics except for the spindle motor (SEM MT30U4-36) and drive card (Sprint 1200). So far I have managed to wire up the spindle motor and drive board and control it via a 10k pot and verify all works OK (Phew).

The Mill also has an ATC unit that I will add to the conversion later on. What I'm trying to understand is how to control the spindle for the ATC alignment.

My other question is could this setup be used for ridged tapping? I read somewhere that you would need to convert the spindle to an axis via software so the Z and spindle movements can be synchronised.

The spindle motor has a Taco built in, can MACH use this for position or would I need to make a separate encoder disk with a slot and sensor?

Lastly what BOB would people recommend, I would need this to control the spindle and ATC plus limit switches etc or would a PLC be better for the ATC??

Lots of questions I know, if anyone could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

Cheers

Mike

you need to use a spindle v4 board to connect BOB to sprint drive card.

machine cant be used for ridged tapping, threadmilling is your friend

I used a separate encoder for rpm feedback into mach, was about a fiver and works a treat.

I'm running a pmdx126 for my triac, v4 spindle board, pmdx-104 for atc and Ethernet smooth stepper

Quote Originally Posted by RocketBoy View Post
    Evening all,

Really need some advice and help on how and what I need to control the spindle on my new Triac with MACH3. The machine as received is completely stripped of all electronics except for the spindle motor (SEM MT30U4-36) and drive card (Sprint 1200). So far I have managed to wire up the spindle motor and drive board and control it via a 10k pot and verify all works OK (Phew).

The Mill also has an ATC unit that I will add to the conversion later on. What I'm trying to understand is how to control the spindle for the ATC alignment.

My other question is could this setup be used for ridged tapping? I read somewhere that you would need to convert the spindle to an axis via software so the Z and spindle movements can be synchronised.

The spindle motor has a Taco built in, can MACH use this for position or would I need to make a separate encoder disk with a slot and sensor?

Lastly what BOB would people recommend, I would need this to control the spindle and ATC plus limit switches etc or would a PLC be better for the ATC??

Lots of questions I know, if anyone could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

Cheers

Mike

The sprint speed controller is not isolated, is the V4 isolated? if not i think you will find out that this can damage things.

I'm using v4 board in my triac and microrouter both have sprint drive cards and I don't have any issues

Quote Originally Posted by dodgygeeza View Post
    The sprint speed controller is not isolated, is the V4 isolated? if not i think you will find out that this can damage things.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    I'm using v4 board in my triac and microrouter both have sprint drive cards and I don't have any issues
    Then the V4 card must be isolating it then.
    otherwise you would have 230V ac going onto the input of the V4 card.

i think the description is pretty clear

http://diycnc.co.uk/cnc-boards-v5-spindle-board/

Fully Opto isolated inputs for live motor controller circuits

Ok, this is the V5. I used the V4 a long time ago and this did not have isolation built in. But im not sure that they upgraded this though.

both my denford machines with sprint drive cards use the v4 board

We helped introduce and develop this board when Roy ran the company.
    It was done for the Sieg X3 machines that had mains voltage on the spindle side of the board.
    The original board was the V3, later to become the V4 that had an optional 2 relays fitted.

All these boards are isolated by means of a DC to DC converter.
    The manual for the V4 is still on the web.

www.diycnc.co.uk/forms/spindleV4.pdf

One thing to note:

On the V4 Roy made a bad choice when he chose the DC to DC converter in that he chose one with a low amperage. This showed itself when we built a control box that was 6' away from the machine for a disabled user and speed just didn't work.
    We found out that if the DC to DC unit was replaced with a higher amperage the problem went away. Ironically the 2 amp unit was cheaper than the 1 amp unit.

This was reported to Roy but ignored.
    Together with some other problems it's one reason we stopped buying his boards.
    John S -

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm poor in money and time so I'm going to have to break this down into smaller chunks. So I'll concentrate on the spindle drive and control and get a V5 card. Can you tell me what you used for the spindle encoder, did you buy this or make it? Any pictures you could send me please?

I do have a few more questions regarding the spindle, I've watched a few videos on YouTube of the ATC mechanism working. it looks like the spindle is positioned and locked in place, is there a mechanism within the motor spindle assembly that clicks in to do this? Or is aligned with the slot on the encoder and then motor braking is applied?

Do I need to have any more inputs to the Sprint card such as breaking and the Taco? Lastly I have a temperature sensor wired in the spindle motor, does this do anything, do I need to use it?

Cheers

Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information