. .
    Hi everyone, another day, another set of issues lol.

due to lack of foresight when I started designing my build, I didn't account for requirement of large Z clearance and movement due to fear of deflection and what not. I could have definitely used an extra 100-200mm but can't go back now.

I purchased this vise when I was in UK last year http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/L...ine_Vices.html

its around 3 inches high if I'm not mistaken, that's way too much for the space I have (150mm Z travel assuming no tool in spindle), its okay for small parts and small tools but otherwise cant do much.

Is there a solution that allows me flexibility of vise directly on the T-Slot table with enough clamping force?

I have the M8 version of these mitee bite fixture clamps http://www.miteebite.com/products/fixture-clamps/ that are helpful for fixtures but wondering if I can use them for a vise like setup?

any thoughts or advice?

You could have a look at 56mm Vertex Free Vices and a search for Limitless Milling Vice may give some interesting results.
    If you need a very low profile vice for a T slot table making your own in 3 parts isn't terribly complex, Google low profile milling vice and click images for lots of good shop-made options,
    Regards,
    Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

I could, but don't they have tight tolerances and specifications? I wouldn't be able to achieve that for sure. thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Noplace View Post
    I could, but don't they have tight tolerances and specifications?
    Nothing that is impossible with good old manual bench-work, a sadly overlooked skill set in the "off the shelf" Maker Generation!

Quote Originally Posted by Noplace View Post
    I wouldn't be able to achieve that for sure. thanks for the suggestions!
    If you use lengths of 01 Tool Steel ground stock for the fixed jaw, moving jaw and the female threaded section for the screw you can make one with a bench, vice, hacksaw, scriber, centre punch, drills & a tap, some large threaded rod and some nuts.
    Probably with the emphasis on the latter ;-)

- Nick

How about this ? http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...Milling-Vice-6
    You may be able to find a smaller version.

..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Googling "Low profile milling vice" and selecting images shows half-a-dozen good home made options in the first couple of pages that would class as both "Functional" and what was in my day "O Level Metalwork"

Thread Information