. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Its absolutely not like you present it.
    If you read my previous post, you will see that I have added information to enable a buyer to make an informed choice. Chinese (and Taiwanese) goods are made as cheaply as possible. This affects quality and in some instances safety. Brand forgery is rife. It does not stop major UK suppliers buying them for sale in UK and, for the time being, in Europe. Major suppliers are not immune from fakes creeping into the supply chain.

I have seen many instances of failed power supplies, with capacitors bulging with internal gassing, on the brink of spectacular failure. These are not always Chinese components.

Japanese capacitors are generally a better quality product, but to me it is a price based decision. I agree with Jazz, that in most instances where a capacitor is not stressed, it will do the job for a reasonable service life, wherever it was born.

Rob

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Well said Rob
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Well said may be,but i would not put a chinese capacitor in my audio or my cnc for the sake of saving what, almost nothing.

Just an example of what happens if you buy the "Hitachi" capacitor from ebay. Which is just a couple of euros cheaper than a real one from Mouser. See what a guy that bough it says and at bottom the guy that distributed them.

I just don't know what exactly you are promoting here guys? You want to be right for the sake of rightness or what?

Its one thing pointing people to buy chinese spindle, VFD or similar where substantial savings are made, and other thing pointing them to buy crap to save a $ for a beer. So sb will spend 3000 euro for 900x600 DIY router and will save 5 euro from capacitors?
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Its one thing pointing people to buy chinese spindle, VFD or similar where substantial savings are made, and other thing pointing them to buy crap to save a $ for a beer. So sb will spend 3000 euro for 900x600 DIY router and will save 5 euro from capacitors?
    Boyan while I agree upto point with what your saying where do you stop with the " For few ££££ more" this is better.? This could be said about every part and aspect of the CNC machine .!

Lets keep it relavant with the The point being that for DIY CNC if Sized correctly even the Cheap Caps are plenty good enough. For Hi-usage Industrial CNC or HiFi then maybe not but this is DIYCNC. £5 x 3 (Pounds because EU won't deal with us anymore!!! ) saved on something that 99% chance won't fail is enough saving.

Then you have the other way to look at it.? If worst happens and "one" fails it's cheap, available and easy to replace. The other two will keep you running until replacement arrives. . . . . If ONE BIG one goes Boom then your dead in the water.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 26-06-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Have a look at this page :http://uk.farnell.com/epcos/b41231c9...nap/dp/1839293

Note the country of origin

Look at the suggested alternatives and note their countries of origin.

Make you own mind up about quality and price.

I am currently trying to find out the inductance values of 5 of these capacitors as against 1 large one to the same value 11,000 uF, it affects ripple, but you can always compensate with ceramic disc caps. Not that I am building a power supply at the moment, just curious.

BTW anyone want a 1F (yes 1 FARAD !) 5v dual layer capacitor? It cost me £10 and also an obscure ancient static RAM chip, that cost me £30, all for a job on some equipment of mine that turned out not to be worth repairing.

Rob

OK, maybe i am too spoiled because usually i buy capacitors for audio, and as i said i would not put that thing in my amp, but for mere 5euro there is Cornell Dubilier cap in Mouser, which is USA made.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    OK, maybe i am too spoiled because usually i buy capacitors for audio, and as i said i would not put that thing in my amp, but for mere 5euro there is Cornell Dubilier cap in Mouser, which is USA made.
    OK can you please put a link up to the caps that YOU would use in a standard 68V non linear power supply and the price including delivery.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    OK can you please put a link up to the caps that YOU would use in a standard 68V non linear power supply and the price including delivery.

I don't know what exactly you are asking Clive? you could just go to Mouser and find it.

But if you are asking what exactly I will use- I will not buy it from Mouser. I will go downtown, drink a coffee and visit the local repair guy and buy from his shop the needed capacitor, saving on shipping fees. yes, i will pay them a bit more expensive, but he helps me so i help him. Last time he repaired my 3kw Siemens VFD for 15 euro, and i payed him 20, from shame. At same time people wanted 90 euro just to open it and look what the problem is. So i like personal contact with nice people.

Look at the photo below, just did it in the workshop. These caps are exactly for some CNC PSUs. As you see Nichicon cap.~12 euro per piece.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160627_230302.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	759.4 KB 
ID:	18799

Added bonus when I was buying the caps was that he went back and sold me 2 toroid transformers x 20 euros each, which i was going to buy for 100euros each /shipping included/ . So my point is personal contact pays off.

But at the same time now i need for my amp 2x 22000μF cans with exact height and width, so i have to buy them from Mouser and yeah, 40 euro each.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information