. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hello everyone I really hope somebody can help us.

We Have a Chinese built CNC that was originally equipped with an ER32 7.5 kw, 10.2 HP Colombo Spindle that we needed to send for servicing as we had problems with the threads on the collet.
    Due to the quick turnaround that we needed the Chinese company sent us a Chinese spindle until they send us an other Colombo as the machine originally came with a spare spindle.
    The spindle they sent us is a HQD 6.0 Kw ER32 spindle. Please see attached pictures.
    After installing the new spindle we can't get it to work on a constant speed. Please see attached video.
    Originally we have been controlling the spindle straight from Mach3 with no problems whatsoever but since installing the new one Mach 3 is acting funny as well throwing a soft limit error shortly after a program start.
    We have been through a lot of settings with the Chinese support and us trying different settings but with no luck so far
    Any questions and answers are welcome as we would really like to have this machine up end running.

Thanks in advance

BoX

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZopW...ature=youtu.be

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160627_130919.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	18795

Name:	IMG_20160627_130951.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	514.9 KB 
ID:	18796

First have wired the spindle in Delta not Star.? The VFD is 380V so the Spindle needs to be wired Star.
    Edit: Strike that because looking again the other pic looks like from spindle not VFD.

So are you using 1ph or 3ph input.? If 1ph then wire in Delta if 3ph then wire Star.

Second measure the voltage coming for the speed control to VFD. Does it Pulse.? Will be either 0-5v or 0-10v depending on VFD/Speed controller.
    To check the VFD get power source between 1-10v (if 0-10v speed control) ie 9V battery and swap for wires coming from speed control. If you have stable speed then it's the speed control that's causing the pulsing.

The Strange Mach3 happenings will be coinsidence because nothing related to the spindle can or will affect Softlimits. Only thing that could possibly be throwing unexplained errors is electrical noise and this would be on the hardwired limits not softlimits.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 27-06-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    First have wired the spindle in Delta not Star.? The VFD is 380V so the Spindle needs to be wired Star.
    Edit: Strike that because looking again the other pic looks like from spindle not VFD.

So are you using 1ph or 3ph input.? If 1ph then wire in Delta if 3ph then wire Star.

Second measure the voltage coming for the speed control to VFD. Does it Pulse.? Will be either 0-5v or 0-10v depending on VFD/Speed controller.
    To check the VFD get power source between 1-10v (if 0-10v speed control) ie 9V battery and swap for wires coming from speed control. If you have stable speed then it's the speed control that's causing the pulsing.

The Strange Mach3 happenings will be coinsidence because nothing related to the spindle can or will affect Softlimits. Only thing that could possibly be throwing unexplained errors is electrical noise and this would be on the hardwired limits not softlimits.

Hi Jazz and thanks for your help.

You are dealing with some wiring dummies here so please excuse me for asking some dummy questions.
    I have found a diagram depicting the star and delta wiring methods and will study it although do you think that the new spindle needs a new kind of wiring as we thought is generally the same as the old one.

Also when you say measure the speed control voltage do you mean it on the wires My red arrow is pointing to in the attached image?

Also if we don't get far in resolving this problem would you be able to visit us and give us a hand in sorting this problem. We are based in Vauxhall London.

Thanks,

BoX

Name:	fig-6.gif 
Views:	486 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	18797

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	18798

The spindle is dual voltage so can be run 220v or 380V. This is determined by how you connect the wire terminals on the spindle NOT the VFD.
    So if your Spindle was lasted used on 380v Three phase supply then it will be wired in Star config. If used on 220V single or three phase supply it will wired Delta.
    If your Supply is 220V Single phase then you need spindle config to be Delta.

Regards the wires then I cannot tell you from that picture. On the VFD they will be marked so thing like ACM & V1 or Gnd & V1 or Gnd & A1 depending on type of speed controller.
    If your not sure what doing then suggest you don't go poking around because some speed controllers can be at Mains potential and very dangerous.
    Sorry I'm too far away to help.

If you send better pics of spindle inside the cover I can probably tell you if Star or Delta. Like wise if send better pics of VFD or The board I can tell you which wires to measure from but if your not confident with electrickery then still suggest you seek advise or help from someone who is.

Ok just looked at your pictures again and starting to make sense now what the problem is.!
    If the second Picture is the replacement then won't work. The new spindle is not dual voltage so can't work on single phase 220v. Will only work on 3 phase 380V supply.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 27-06-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    The spindle is dual voltage so can be run 220v or 380V. This is determined by how you connect the wire terminals on the spindle NOT the VFD.
    So if your Spindle was lasted used on 380v Three phase supply then it will be wired in Star config. If used on 220V single or three phase supply it will wired Delta.
    If your Supply is 220V Single phase then you need spindle config to be Delta.

Regards the wires then I cannot tell you from that picture. On the VFD they will be marked so thing like ACM & V1 or Gnd & V1 or Gnd & A1 depending on type of speed controller.
    If your not sure what doing then suggest you don't go poking around because some speed controllers can be at Mains potential and very dangerous.
    Sorry I'm too far away to help.

If you send better pics of spindle inside the cover I can probably tell you if Star or Delta. Like wise if send better pics of VFD or The board I can tell you which wires to measure from but if your not confident with electrickery then still suggest you seek advise or help from someone who is.

Thanks again Jazz,

Will wait for my colleague to come in later and will take some better pictures for you as I think that is the only workable route since you don't fancy a trip to London. We do have confidence and are quite good at taking anything apart though :)
    We have already tried contacting all the companies that we could find in the UK but no luck so far as most don't work with mach3 or simply are not interested as the machine was not built by them. On the other hand the Chinese support proves to be quite difficult due to the 8 hours time difference and the even bigger language barrier. Basically we have been trying to sort this problem out with them for over a month now.

Thanks again and will try to post those pictures later.

BoX

Hi There Jazz,

I had to take yesterday off but managed to take some better quality pictures today.

I have attached some and hope they are useful but if you need any specific pictures including screenshots from Mach3 please let me know as it seems will have to sort the problem our self's. All the Chinese support does is trying to push us to install nc studio instead of mach3 saying that the guy who built our machine and had mach3 experience has left their workplace.

Thanks again and have a good evening.

BoX

Name:	20160617_115134_resized.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	18821

Name:	20160617_115123_resized.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	18819

Name:	20160617_115106_resized.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	444.4 KB 
ID:	18818

Name:	20160606_181141_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	18820
    Last edited by HipoPapi; 29-06-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Ok well first need to know if your using Single phase 220V supply.?

If so then I'm quite confident that your problem is the new replacement spindle is designed ONLY for 380v.
    The VFD while converts Single phase to Three phase it does not convert 220v to 380v.

The columbo Spindle was dual voltage, hence Delta or Star wiring options but the New replacement spindle, looking at the pic you posted doesn't and only works with 380v.

Confirm this and if using 380V then I'll continue and tell you which wires to check.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 29-06-2016 at 07:28 PM.

Just a quicky for Jazz - I know where you're coming from with the plate on the spindle, but googling the part number throws up bugger all info on aliexpress, but it does suggest that it can be wired star or delta, and a 6-pin connector on the spindle brings out each winding separately, and that the coil voltage is 220/380.

OP - Might be worth posting a photo of the electrical connector on the spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Just a quicky for Jazz - I know where you're coming from with the plate on the spindle, but googling the part number throws up bugger all info on aliexpress, but it does suggest that it can be wired star or delta, and a 6-pin connector on the spindle brings out each winding separately, and that the coil voltage is 220/380.

OP - Might be worth posting a photo of the electrical connector on the spindle.
    IME if Spindles or motors can be wired both 220/380v the plate will state it. ie like the Coloumbo does. In this case can only go off what the plate says.
    But it wouldn't hurt to have pic of the terminals for clarity.

Also if Ali express shows bugger all info how can it suggest Star -Delta.?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information