Hi,

So my Denford's spindle motor has been giving problems and recently blew fuses on my drive. I managed to get it going again but the motor seemed to lack torque.

Tried to machine a part this afternoon, motor struggled and smoke came out where the brushes are.

Took the motor out and split it as far as I can. The brush lenghts look OK although the one snapped off the wire when I tried to remove it. The comm is also fairly black. Two of the thinner wires (I assume the field winding), one is burnt off. Might explain the lack of torque.

So, what are my options? Ebay has a slightly smaller motor (mine is the MT30U4-36) for sale. This is an option, ideally a straight swap.

Repair mine, cost might be high. Find a suitable replacement, same issue. I dont intend keeping my Denford long term and I do need parts made for Thor, so a bit snookered. I was looking to move to a high speed spindle but Ill need a machine to make the bracket, unless I just do something manually to get going.

Thoughts? By any chance has anyone got one of the motors spare from an older machine?

Thanks