There has been a bit of discussion on other threads about Windows 10 and how it is a potential disaster for CNC use as it is inclined to go off and download updates, install them, and possibly reboot, all while a machining job is going on.

That may be true for Windows 10 Home edition, but it looks as if you can easily stop this happening if you are running Win10 Pro (or maybe one of the other odd versions like Enterprise or Education). Well, I say easily, but it does mean going into the Group Policy editor, enabling the Automatic Windows Update policy, and then selecting which policy variant you want. Choices include do nothing (needs manual search for updates), download but don't install, download and install, and something else that I can't remember. It seems to work - I set this up a week or so back and have just received a reminder to install latest updates rather than having them install automatically.

Try googling for "windows 10 group policy automatic update" and there are plenty of articles telling you how to do it - follow instructions carefully and it's not too difficult. The automatic update problem might not be as bad as feared, but it does mean that you need the Pro version rather than Home. Nothing to stop you all running Win10 now, then...