. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hello MyCNCUK,

Hope things are well in the UK

My reason for posting here now is that I'm looking for a small, yet quite "fine" router and having searched the internet for some days now it seems to me that this CNC field may be "jungle-like" - and I realize that I'm probably most likely to find what I am looking for if someone who already is knowledgeable in this field may hint me in the right direction. I hope this/these person(s) is here in these forums and may be able to help ... I'd be pleased to give the equivalent of a good wine for the help that leads me to what I seek (and not least appreciate any help given here ) ...

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for I reckon a description of "my needs" may be feasible:

- It should be an xyz axes router. Workspace on the order of 30 * 25 * 12 cm (z-axis), YET either the x or y axis needs be "expandable" so that I - in time - can attach a part that is larger than the workspace, and then move the part as workspace-size-cuts are completed.

- Materials to be cut are: plastics, wood, brass, bronze, aluminum, gold leaf (probably simple but possibly high spindle speeds), and the like. Also, a very important use is precision PCB prototype making, i.e. thin tracks with shorts distances in-between ...

- precision, accuracy and repeatability are key. Routing speed is not that important as it is to be used for prototypes & (very) low No. series.

- I work best with softwares that are straightforward and intuitive to use. Thus, if software(s) go with the router it is much preferred that it/they are easy to use - or that any recommendations go along this line ... I have some software knowledge and can work e.g. with a 3D modeling software (MoI3d; moi3d.com) which can output the files listed in the attachment.

- I can do metal & wood work myself and have/may have access to a metal/wood workshop if needed. However, a constraint is time and I probably have no more than ~ 60 hours to do what is needed e.g. to build a router, if this is the feasible path to take.

- I am quite proficient in electronics and likely may assemble e.g. a good motor control if this is feasible. To this end: I may also be able to e.g. modify electronics if that may make a "standard" component better.

- And importantly: I am looking for a "tested and known-to-work well" router/router build as using the router for my purposes admittedly is my main objective.

- It can be a used router, but it must be functionally fine/as new. And it needs be shippable to Denmark. Any parts for a build preferably should also be available from within the EU.

- A likely constraint is price - I hope to find a router/a router build which can be bought/built - I assume most likely built (?) - at no more than GBP 500 ... (may e.g. comprise a just reasonable spindle & controllers for a start - but a router structure that is worth improving upon)

Any chance there's a build/a used router that fulfills these needs?

... Thanks for reading and hopefully being able to help (and as I wrote above I'd be pleased to give a good wine for the help that leads me to what I seek ... )

Cheers

Jesper
    Last edited by evalon; 26-01-2017 at 04:07 PM.

- A likely constraint is price - I hope to find a router/a router build which can be bought/built - I assume most likely built (?) - at no more than GBP 500 ... (may e.g. comprise a just reasonable spindle & controllers for a start - but a router structure that is worth improving upon)
    - I can do metal & wood work myself and have/may have access to a metal/wood workshop if needed. However, a constraint is time and I probably have no more than ~ 60 hours to do what is needed e.g. to build a router, if this is the feasible path to take.
    I think that you have left a few zero's off here.
    Last edited by Clive S; 26-01-2017 at 04:20 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hmm I'm afraid that for a budget of only £500 all you're looking at are the el-cheapo eBay Chinese 3020 machines which do not fulfill any of your criteria.

The simple answer is to get something that does what you want it to then you're looking at £2000 (minimum) plus for a DIY build doing it yourself, ready built then you can at least treble that.

Sorry for no better answer.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Hi Neil & Steve,

Well, thanks for replying although your reply is not in the direction I was hoping for ... However, wouldn't it be possible to do something like a smaller OX build or Shapeoko at this price-point? Something with an altogether sturdier frame - maybe with steppers & controllers like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2819021550...c=1&rmvSB=true

a suitable (not expensive) spindle to start out with, good & solid sliding parts (rails), maybe buying some used parts (the spindle?), and maybe modifying the controllers to be more solid ... Something like this maybe ...

http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/lin...machines.1771/

If you believe it cannot be done with the above thoughts in mind - can you say where am I most off in my thinking about this relative to your experience? Doesn't it help that it's a relatively small router I'm considering ...

Cheers & thanks,

Jesper
    Last edited by evalon; 27-01-2017 at 05:46 PM.

You already have the motor kit at 150£.
    Now search for the rails, at least the supported round rails (or hiwin rails if you want to cut metal with precision). Add 6 rails at your desired length plus 12 linear bearings.
    Add 3 screws with nuts, ens support and coupling. If you want precision look at the ballscrews instead of the trapezoidal ones.
    Add the cheapest spindle you can find, some sensors or switches, relays and of course all the cables.

If you still are under 500£, which I really doubt, add some aluminium or steel as the other components cannot levitate.

Hi Jesper,

The guys are not joking and very experienced so listen other wise all your going to do is waste £500.

What you want isn't remotely possibly with £500 and even Neils £2000 is on the low side now for this country with £/$ being messed up. (Hopefully when Mrs Prime minster is finished blowing trump.!. . . .Opp's meant blowing UK trumpet this may change.!! . . .And pigs fly.!!)

So I strongly suggest you start saving and don't even set off down the cheap route because it NEVER works.!

Thread Information