Hello All,

Been lurking on here for a while and picked up so much useful information.

I'm currently looking to build a 4'x4' router to cut aluminium, wood and plastics.

My current (very) unfinished scheme looks like so

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mechanics.PNG 
Views:	1942 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	21409

My initial plan was to use slaved motors on the x axis but after thinking about homing switches and dropping steps I'm thinking of linking the two sides with a timing belt. More thinking required here though

I'm a mechanical engineer by background so my main worry about the design and build of this machine is the electronics.

With this in mind, after putting together the rough scheme for the mechanics, I parked that and my main focus for now is getting the electronics built.

I'm pretty lucky that through work I have managed to salvaged quite a few parts including this small desktop 3 axis router which I will use to test out the electronics panel. When this all works I can progress to start spending time and money on the mechanics knowing that I have the electronics working.

Name:	IMG_20170416_190800.jpg 
Views:	856 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	21410

I've managed to put together a wiring diagram for what I think I need to do.

Name:	ROUTER WIRING DIAGRAM.pdf 
Views:	428 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	21412

I'm unsure about what motion controller I should use and which version of Mach. Originally I was planning on using an Ethernet Smooth Stepper with Mach 3 as this seemed like it would do everything I need and is well documented. However I need to do some more research into Mach 3/4 and see what the benefits of 4 are. Also been reading about Pokeys and CSLabs controllers so want to understand how these compare to the ESS.

Again I have been pretty lucky scavenging electrical components from work for the build of the panel. The drivers, BOB and power supplies for the steppers are standard chinese ebay fare. I'm currently laying the parts out in the box to get a feel for where everything should go.

Name:	IMG_20170416_190817.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	21411

Thanks for reading and any pointers or criticism much appreciated.

Cheers
George