Hi everyone,

DIY router still going strong after 8 years but...

I'm just about done with my USB Smoothstepper. I feel like I'm always walking on eggshells when using it, no matter how powerful the PC or how cleaned out of unneeded software etc. I still get "the smoothstepper ran out of data in the middle of a move" and then I'm into the nightmare (for me) to try and find a position I can continue from. I route mainly 2D profiles in HDPE for the boats we build and it's expensive stuff to make a mistake on. Having just bought a Chinese router at work running NCStudio (don't get me started), that will need ugrading too and I'm thinking of going the same route with both machines.

I've decided I need a new motion controller and I am looking at the UC300 and 400. I have licenses for Mach3 and 4 which will both run with this controller but also, Uccnc which I have heard good things about would also be an option. Part of my reason is that I just plain don't believe Greg at Smoothstepper that there will ever be a Mach4 plugin for the USS and I'd like something that works now and is stable to give me options.

I am using an HG08 BOB from Cnc4You and I'm hoping the UC300 would be a good match. What do the experts think?