. .

Thread: New start

Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    4500rpm, 4000mm/min 2mm DOC, full width.

Definitely not the ideal tool :)

Do not hurry now,try to get a bigger one,a bit with a cutting surface about 20 or more mm will save you much working time from the machine an d a better result.
    Last edited by Nickhofen; 30-03-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    4500rpm, 4000mm/min 2mm DOC, full width.

Definitely not the ideal tool :)
    Hmm dont think my spindle can handle 4500rpm. Standard Chinese 2.2kw thingy.. Will try 6000rpm ;)

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nickhofen View Post
    Do not hurry now,try to get a bigger one,a bit with a cutting surface about 20 or more mm will save you much working time from the machine an d a better result.
    Ofcourse ;)
    That would be the smart thing!

I just want to flatten maybe 400x400mm and try to tram the spindle.
    Will try to get better material than ply for my "real" spoilboard :)

Quote Originally Posted by Nr1madman View Post
    Ofcourse ;)
    That would be the smart thing!

I just want to flatten maybe 400x400mm and try to tram the spindle.
    Will try to get better material than ply for my "real" spoilboard :)

I bought a 12.7mm 2 flute trend straight router cutter for wood and found it has a far better finish than the 2 flute carbide endmills I bought from China. The 2 flute carbide endmills leave an excellent finish with aluminium.

I used 18mm MDF which in the UK is the same price as ply but machines better and is flatter but you loose the ability to mist with oil for aluminium cutting.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 30-03-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    I bought a 12.7mm 2 flute trend straight router cutter for wood and found it has a far better finish than the 2 flute carbide endmills I bought from China. The 2 flute carbide endmills leave an excellent finish with aluminium.

I used 18mm MDF which in the UK is the same price as ply but machines better and is flatter but you loose the ability to mist with oil for aluminium cutting.
    I think mdf is cheaper here, depending on the quality of the ply. Marine ply and birchply is insanely expensive :)

The ply Im using is scraps from my shed, to get me started!
    When I feel somewhat secure, safe and possibly tipsy I will bring out the oak :D

Want to find a local supplier of varieties of endmills. The only thing the stores here sell are for handrouters. Oftentimes with bearings :(

A nice singleflute for acrylic would be nice.
    Aswell as some downcuts for soft wood!

Quote Originally Posted by Nr1madman View Post
    Hmm dont think my spindle can handle 4500rpm. Standard Chinese 2.2kw thingy.. Will try 6000rpm ;)

Ok, yes it will certainly not go that low - i have the same spindle and its useless below 8000, this is the issue with HSS - it needs low speeds or it burns up. Try and find a wood router bit - usually carbide tipped etc.

Bits for woods are better for this job,I found bits for metal at a very good price on flee market some months agoade in Germany and make some tests on several scrap woods, the results are not as good as the one I have with wood bit.
    If you can find a bit at a good price with bearing at the end,take it remove the bearing and trim the insert point flat with a Dremel or a similar tool....

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Ok, yes it will certainly not go that low - i have the same spindle and its useless below 8000, this is the issue with HSS - it needs low speeds or it burns up. Try and find a wood router bit - usually carbide tipped etc.
    How are folks using these spindles for Aluminum (or are they)? I would think that even with solid carbide 3-flute endmills, 8K would too fast.

Wallace

A 2mm single flute carbide tool in alu will be needing 30k+ rpm - these spindles are slow compared to some, even 5-6mm single flute will need 24k rpm.

Single flute work well as they are pretty strong and have a lot of chip-space in the flute.

When you get down to sub 1mm tools you need mega-rpm.

Don't forget these motors are sold as engraving spindles - the tools are sharp pointed and can take any rpm you have.
    Last edited by Davek0974; 30-03-2018 at 09:37 PM.

Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread Information