. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Don't own a cnc at the moment and I'm looking around to see what will suit me best.
    I build acoustic and classical guitars and I'm looking for a smallish m/c to cut inlays into the headstock and shape bridges etc. All small sized pieces working mainly in a variety of timbers but using metals (ali / brass etc) for some of the inlays.
    My initial thoughts have been towards the 3040 and 3020 cnc m/c from China but I'm not sure if that's the right path to tread?
    I design my inlays in Photoshop CS3 Extended and will use something like Inkscape to produce the vector graphics - after that I'm lost....

So very much a newbie to cnc but I do work with hand tools, routers, saws etc (just find the very small stuff getting more awkward!)
    Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum, there is a guy on here call Wal that does similar stuff to what you are wanting to do.

here is a link to his blog https://wrbl.tumblr.com/
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum, there is a guy on here call Wal that does similar stuff to what you are wanting to do.

here is a link to his blog https://wrbl.tumblr.com/
    Thanks Clive - had a very quick look at the blog and will go back for a more detailed look later.

Cheers Francis

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hi Francis,

(Thanks for the shout out Clive)

Yep, I've done a bit of inlay work and have a reasonably good idea of the workflow. It's not particularly complicated as the software makes it so easy - drop me a line with any questions, would be happy to give you some pointers!

Wal.

Thanks Wal,
    I've been doing a little research into a self build cnc and found this site/machine: https://solsylva.com/cnc/18x24x5.shtml There are a couple of smaller designs that would suit with 13 x 13 (inches) and 10 x 9 inch beds. The 18 x 24 inch bed though would allow me to cut full scale guitar fronts/backs which are only about 5mm thick in the rough. Maybe even hog out the front/back plates for an archtop! Not sure just what level of accuracy these would give but I suspect for inlay and body shaping tasks they would be quite suitable - welcome your thoughts on that?
    I can/would fit either a trim router (Makita/DeWalt etc) or a Dremel/Axminster mini router. But happy to go with a more purpose made spindle...
    Still looking but the self build rather than buying a Chinese m/c is definitely more appealing. If you know of other similar self build sites a link would be great.
    Many thanks for prompt response to my query.
    Francis

I've purchased the plans for the 5 cnc machines at the above link really to get a better idea about how things go together and try and assess the choices made in the different designs (fixed or moving gantry's). The 18 x 24 moving gantry machine ( https://solsylva.com/cnc/18x24x5.shtml ) uses a rack-n-pinion for the long axis. I'm not sure if that has been done on a cost/availability basis or for a given accuracy - would welcome others thoughts on that. If a rack-n-pinion is a favourable option are there good/better R&P's ?
    Last edited by fwm891; 27-01-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Thread Information