. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in Sheffield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16-02-2019 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 50. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Hi all,

I've owned a Chinese 6040 for a while and it's had a lot of hammer. I did want a new machine making, but given my health and hobby needs, as well as a lack of money, I've given up on that idea for now. That aside, because my machine has had a lot of hammer, things are starting to fall to bits. The black-box that has an offline SMC4 controller fitted is starting to fail: the pump switch is broke, the SMC4 doesn't always read the SD card, and the fan on the power supply has stopped working. Obviously, I could just replace the parts, but I figured I'd have a go at building a new box using a DDCSV1.1. I also need to free some bench space in my shed; so building a wall mounted box should help.

Anyways, after seeking a little advice from Clive and Boyan, I've ordered most of the parts I need and started the build. Admittedly, I have little knowledge when it comes to building stuff like this and, because I don't want to be building a toaster, I figured I'd make this thread for the extra help.

I'm making the main box for the power supplies and steppers, and a separate box for the controller, out of aluminium. Had a few sheets of 500x300x1.5mm so figured I'd make use of that.

I've cut a little alu before on my CNC with next to no problems. But this stuff was a pain in the ass. At one point I was getting some nice little chips, next minute I was getting a lot of chatter and a terrible finish. Still, ain't bothered how it looks as long as it all fits together.

Fitted a toroidal transformer to give me 36v for the drivers and a 24v supply to power the DDCSV, fan, and pump for the spindle. Both fan and pump will be stepped down to 12v.

Here's a pic so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0087.JPG 
Views:	980 
Size:	284.7 KB 
ID:	23800

I've still to add an earth star-point, but I've temporally wired the DDCSV and steppers and they all power up fine. The steppers I'm using are just some cheap 2DM542-N. I could have gone Leadshine, but with this being my first attempt I didn't want to be destroying expensive drivers. Besides, can always modify things later.

The above is about as far as I've got. Still waiting for a 37pin D-sub cable to arrive and 4 Core CY cable. I also need to buy a new 1.5k VFD for the spindle. The D-Sub will be used to connect to the box containing the DDCSV, E-stop and rotary controller.

Greatly appreciate any help with setting the drivers for my Nema 23 type-57 3 amp, and wiring the drivers, DDCSV and, later, limit switches.

Cheers
    Sean
    Bought a Chinese 6040...if only I'd known better :(

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rye For This Useful Post:

Thread Information