. .
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    the gantry looks a bit too low to me, id say try to get this a rock solid as possible, I thought machine was solid but turns out the ready made z axis assembly is not solid enough, getting vibration when cutting 18mm mdf in one pass, It the only bit that hasn't got hiwin rails, will changing it soon and ill be changing my spindle for an ATC spindle

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    If you was building a plasma machine I'd say that's perfect. But if you want a serious router then it needs lot more work.

The Bottom Pic looks very much like Merchant Dice machine and just ask anyone about how well MD machine performs..

Your gantry design is week and far too weedy for decent router this size.
    These were some earlier drawings I was playing with, when I mentioned earlier on in the thread about and L shape gantry, this was what I meant. Looks heavy. I realised though by sweeping back the gantry I can save a bit of room in the overall length of the machine.

It's just the weight of it all too is a logistal nightmare when you start using bigger steel.

Im going to make some time in the week to go see my guy and see what he says about just how much fabrication he wants to take on, show him some pictures.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm01 View Post
    the gantry looks a bit too low to me, id say try to get this a rock solid as possible, I thought machine was solid but turns out the ready made z axis assembly is not solid enough, getting vibration when cutting 18mm mdf in one pass, It the only bit that hasn't got hiwin rails, will changing it soon and ill be changing my spindle for an ATC spindle
    Ah sorry to hear that, but thanks for letting me know. I was considering just buying theirs. I tried to keep the gantry as low to the rail as possible. Droping the bed lower instead of raising the gantry seems like it'd be stronger.

I need to go see my engineer now I have a little more idea about what I want. Doesn't seem too difficult to make the z axis from scratch.

do you just use sketchup or do you use cad ?

the guy jazzcnc sent a link to an American site that looked good, they have a preassembled part that I really like the look of

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNC-...6ab831b0ZkP59s

do you just use sketchup or do you use cad ?
    I haven't used AutoCAD for years, and even that was limited to simple furniture made in a caravan factory with someone I knew. Just started using sketch up more recently. I'm going to the local college on Monday to see the lecturer for this city and guilds course which hopefully will help me hone my skills.

if you look at my c beam picture, I joined 3 bits of aluminium together, this is ridiculously rigid but very heavy! if I could do this again id use light weight aluminium profile instead! I have no doubt it would be still as rigid, keeping the weight down would be a good idea because the gantry is cumbersome and requires a lot of power to heave it about, the x axis struggles while the y axis flies
    I'm not so sure keeping it so low wouldn't ending up causing you problems down the line. also when I'm making a new base for my machine I plan to make the underside suitable for sheet storage, my workshop is small and the machine swamps the place so sheets lying around are a real pain
    Last edited by malcolm01; 03-03-2018 at 11:01 PM.

if you look at my c beam picture, I joined 3 bits of aluminium together, this is ridiculously rigid but very heavy! if I could do this again id use light weight aluminium profile instead! I have no doubt it would be still as rigid, I'm not so sure keeping it so low wouldn't ending up causing you problems down the line. also when I'm making a new base for my machine I plan to make the underside suitable for sheet storage, my workshop is small and the machine swamps the place so sheets lying around are a real pain
    Yeah I spent a little while trying to find one like it until I looked at the picture more closely! Nice idea about storage ... is the base of yours made from wood?

Quote Originally Posted by HullMark View Post
    Yeah I spent a little while trying to find one like it until I looked at the picture more closely! Nice idea about storage ... is the base of yours made from wood?

I think I'll maybe go with your c beam then, it's an option for sure

yes I built a torsion box from mdf, stupid idea, my idea was to pivot the machine against the wall when not in use, terrible idea so I plan a new table, mix of steel and aluminium, I was thinking if you used Turbocad id have sent yiu my drawings of my machine, theyre a bit ruff but you might have seen something usefull

11. The Following User Says Thank You to malcolm01 For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information