Hi folks,

So, I have acquired a series 1 Interact.
Heidenhain TNC 145
SEM MT 30R4-58 3.2NM 145V DC motors
Bosch Z15 -1-240V drives

I purchased the machine locally. Its an ex uni machine, barely used, mechanically excellent and fully working.

It's now in my workshop, which only has a STD single phase 220V supply.

I really dislike rotary converters and the like. I know I can run spindle motor via a VFD ( as I do on my manual series 1 and Colchester lathe).

Having had a good look inside the control unit, I am not convinced that the axis controls could easily run from single phase, due to the driver boards being fed via 2 phases of the 3 phase supply. which to me, means 380V AC ( even though board is marked as 240V).
FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME ON THIS POINT.

I also dislike the ancient TNC145 control system. only 2.5D control, limited compared to modern machines, etc.

I have read a few threads on similar builds on various sites, but all seem a few years old at least.

I realise i am looking at, some flavor of new control software ( mach*, LinuxCNC or similar) a motion controller of some description and probably new drives and possibly new motors too.

I don't think I would take the backwards step of stepper motors.
SEM motors that are currently fitted are still like new and very quiet, so it would be nice to use these if poss. I may be persuaded to go AC servo system ( if the Chinese stuff actually works ok)

SO.... what are the up to date options? Pro's and cons would also be appreciated.