. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi,

So my laser machine has developed an almighty vibration when moving the y axis back and forth. It runs off of a single motor mounted in the center of the machine, attached to a pulley which then transfers into a shaft through couplings and runs dual belts either side...if that makes sense.

We were running some precise but elaborate work this week at 150mm/s and I think this has damaged the motor, everything else seems to be fine so I am guessing that this is the issue.

The motor has the following on the sticker...

Model : STM5776 CE
    4.2A (U) 1.8deg/step
    www.autospark-tech.com

A+ A-
    B+ B-

I have had a google and can only find a couple of pages that don't have any specs that I can figure out. Have any of you seen or used one of these? Any ideas on what I can use to replace it? It is running off of a DM556 if that helps any

Ive tried contacting the supplier but they are next to useless and I need to get the machine back up and running. I also tried the website....I have NO idea what is going on on there lol, there are pictures of scantily clad women and different chats about shipping companies to mobile suppliers and the marketization of Chinese enterprises

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181122_182723.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	274.2 KB 
ID:	25177

Name:	20181128_163539.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	25178

is the same motor used on the X axis ?

if it is, I would try swapping motors to see if the fault goes with the motor or stays with the stepper driver

what is the supply voltage powering the DM556 ?

using the rule of thumb from Geckodrives web site

ideal supply voltage = the square root of the motor inductance in mH x 32

with a 45V supply I would look for a motor with an inductance of 2.2mH
    (you may find the nearest you can find is about 2.8mH )
    and going by the label motor current = 4.2A

the NEMA motor sizes relate to the physical imperial dimensions
    so a NEMA 17 will be 1.7" square and a NEMA 34 will be 3.4" square

John
    Last edited by john swift; 30-11-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks John,

Ok so its a Nema 23. I never knew that about the sizes and Ive been using them for years....mind blown!

I have two power supplies in the machine, one with one live, which I am assuming powers the Nema 34 which raises the machine bed and one with 2 lives coming from it which I am assuming powers the 2 Nema 23s for the X and Y axis.

This is a.....

LRS-100-24
    Input 100 - 240
    Output 24v @ 4.5a

Name:	20181130_135136.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	25180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181130_135127.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	297.8 KB 
ID:	25181

Pictures for reference.....

24V is lower than the 36V I expected

what is the other power supply rating

have you measured the supply voltage at the DM556 terminals
    just in case the bootlace ferrule crimped joint has gone high resistance

John

I haven't checked the voltage but I can do that tomorrow just to make sure.

The other unit is a LRS-350-36 36v @ 9.7a

I'm on my mobile now so can't post a pic of it at the mo. Let me know if you need one. Thanks for the replies by the way John, it's very much appreciated

First check if the vibration is not mechanical.

Second and easiest to do, I would swap the X and Y motor plugs from the drives, the 6 wire connector, assuming two motors are identical and powered by the same psu. Now when you jog the X axis, the Y will be moving and vice versa. If the other axis is vibrating then the drive is faulty. NEVER unplug the motor and power plug from the drives before turning off the power!!
    I cannot see if there is a plug at the motor end. If it has a plug, you could easily swap the motors as John said and this way you find if it's the stepper, cable or drive faulty.

Third but most likely, I would check/replace the motor cable, if your Y axis cable is the one that is moving inside a cable chain.

The stepper motor is the last thing I would suspect to fail.

Ok guys, I have just swapped the 6 cable plugs over and its the same issue. The x is running as smooth as and the Y jolts when it moves and stops so violently that the machine visibly shakes.

I'm going to check the connections at the motor end on the Y in a second, the machine will need to be disconnected and pulled out which is why I haven't done it just yet.

Any tips on checking the wiring at the stepper?

The Y wiring is static, the motor is fixed at the end of the axis and doesn't move so unless something has come loose I wouldn't have thought that the wire would have failed but who knows!
    Last edited by SweetAs; 03-12-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Have you checked it mechanically? Check for any play of the motor shaft first and then the pulleys, belt, rails, etc.

edit: Could be the stepper rotor rubbing against the stator... Try turning the motor by hand and see if it is turning smooth.
    Last edited by paulus.v; 03-12-2018 at 02:34 PM.

Hi Paulus,

Yes all checked manually. I've just taken the belt off again and checked the following..

No discernable play in the shaft of the stepper motor.
    Pulley grub screw is tight
    Moved the Y axis back and forth with the pulley to stepper belt off, everything felt smooth, checked the bearings as best I could but they look fine. They are 6001Z and the shaft is supported twice, either side of the belt pulley at both ends if that makes sense.
    Ill take the main Y belts off in a second and see how the axis moves without any resistance at all.
    Couplings adjacent to the motor seem fine, no play in them.

Here is a pic of the set up....

Name:	20181203_141432.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	25201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181203_141409.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	275.8 KB 
ID:	25202
    Last edited by SweetAs; 03-12-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information