Hi,

Where DIY is concerned, I'm a bit of a Jack (or should that be Jill?) of all trades, but mistress of few (if any!). I have been establishing a woodworking workshop which, for a hobbyist, is reasonably well equipped (table saw / spindle moulder combo, planer / thicknesser, band saw etc.). For some time I have thought that a cnc router would be useful to add. In truth, I probably can't afford it or justify it, but hey, since when did such details impede the female of the species when in need of a little retail therapy? However, it does mean that I should seriously consider the DIY build route.

My interest is centred on a router for woodworking. Ideally, I'd like to leap in the deep end and go for a full 4' by 8' working area. In order to be able to undertake reasonably heavy work in either soft- or hard-wood, I imagine I should be thinking in terms of a router spindle of around 2kW. What workpiece hold down system is appropriate? Is a vacuum system at all practical for a home builder? What are the best sources of equipment in the UK? (I've come across Marchant Dice so far.) I've started doing a bit of research online, but still have a lot to learn.

As I'm not really into metalwork, I'm thinking of construction primarily from wood / MDF. My existing wookshop set up should enable me to undertake such construction with sufficient accuracy. I've found various links to websites offering plans for specific designs and / or showing videos of DIY build projects. However, I'm still trying to find a good basic "idiots' guide" on the subject that would help me to identify a suitable construction and the best / most suitable components to specify.

Any pointers are most welcome.

Julie