. .
    Up to now, I haven't tried doing anything else on my PC during cutting with Mach3. The PC is not on the network and is a simple XP install. And I've got a USB motion controller.

I now want to set-up a music system feeding a bluetooth headset.

Do I build a single new system to cover Mach3 and music (windows7, Wifi, Bluetooth) ? The networking will be an advantage for gcode file transfers too.

I guess what I'd like is to hear from people that are successfully multi-tasking their PCs. That will give me confidence to give it a go (and do some air testing before cutting material).

cheers all,

Also, what do you think of these ?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Bluetoot...dp/B0723CYHPZ/

Just try it, if it works you're good, until it doesn't ;-)
    I never had my CNC controller doing other things at the same time as running a program, it only has to cause a problem once in the middle of a part to make it not worth it.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Suck it and see. You'll never make your CNC work better with more tasks running, but if there's enough grunt in the system then there's every chance that it'll work unaffected. Yes. I've had my system networked, my main UCCNC is running on a server machine that I'll happily run in conjunction with Fusion, and twin-NIC'd to the Internet and separately to the UC300ETH. Previously I'd used a i5 machine with single NIC but aliased with two IPs, one for general internet and file transfers, one to a Chinese motion controller. That machine is now repurposed to LinuxCNC with networked switch for Internet and a Mesa 7i76.

Plenty goes wrong with my stuff, but mainly my fault and none attributable to machines being networked. I would however, avoid auto-updates on Windows.

Put the music on your phone. Your kids (or borrow somebody else's if you have none) will show you how.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

I have been running VR Milling and Mach3 at the same time on my PC for several months now and have had no issues. The PC is also controlling three webcams and I occasionally also use BBC Sounds.

Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT headphones arrived today. I'm very pleased with them after first try. The noise attenuation is less than with my £3 screwfix 24db ear defenders, but it's enough for my needs.

I will use them for a while just using my phone as a source before I decide whether to start using the PC as a source. I generally only use my phone for calls and haven't even had a BlueTooth headset before, I don't usually even take my phone into the workshop.

I haven't worked out how to integrate my wooly hat yet, but warms ears might be good enough for down to 5degrees.
    Last edited by jimbo_cnc; 18-12-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Thread Information