Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
If they use the same input connections for DC as AC as I assume they do then the rectifier and capacitors must still be in the circuit.

One other thing to consider: If you add an additional rectifier and capacitors to make a DC supply for an AC driver you will also increase the inrush current to the transformer and increase the risk of trips. Adding more capacitance for the sake of it to any DC supply (making Neale's audio amp PSU instead of a motor driver one) will have the same effect.
Yup. My brain was in full “doped up on morphine mode”... which is why I did a facepalm. It’s the reason I had to quit work. Not asking for sympathy, just stating the way things are. I seriously do not know this tech, BUT I WANT TO LEARN. It’s better to ask questions and act a fool than profess to be an expert and tell people incorrect info because “Well it works for me so must be okay”. A lot of my expertise is 20 years out of date and worked with super delicate security systems that required strong, stable power sources to detect intrusions. These days you could build the same thing for lest than 50p with tech from Asia.

But I love making things which is why I got into CNC in the first place. Anyhoo... I’m going to shut up until I can reduce my meds come spring.