Moving on to the mechanical side of things (at least for now) and essentially the gantry arm design. Am I right in assuming that it is the centre of gravity of the entire gantry assembly (incl. gantry arms, beam, z-axis, spindle etc.) that preferably should be half way between the X-axis (long axis) rail carriages?

My thinking is that any force applied to the spindle in the X direction affects the balance of the entire gantry assembly. Now, the reason I'm double checking this is that when drawing the gantry assembly (as in the attached, albeit, unfinished drawing) I find that the COG is quite far back (the left side mark) if the beam is also included in the calculations. I know some parts are still missing from the drawing, but even when included, the end result will not change much (in fact, what's missing is mostly parts on the left hand side of the mark). Bottom line is, in this scenario my gantry arms would raise straight up from the X-axis carriages (hence, neither would the inclusion of the arms affect the cog) and, essentially, leaving the spindle quite far in front of the front carriage.

Problem is that nearly all gantry arm designs I've looked at will have the spindle closer to the halfway point between the carriages or at least somewhere between the carriages. Now, when I calculate for the Z-axis assembly only (the mark to the right) the COG is naturally much closer to the spindle, and should I use this as my reference point my gantry arm design and more importantly the spindle position (relative to the X carriages) would end up looking much more like what I see others using. My intuition still says I should go with the COG of the entire gantry assembly as my reference point, but seeing that this would end up looking much different to the norm, it makes me wonder if I've overlooked something or simply using the wrong logic?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoG.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	27318