. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    To be honest I’m a bit confused by this thread and maybe it got off on the wrong foot in the first post when the OP was looking for big motors in the 8Nm to 12Nm range on what is still a router? Mains powered Nema 34 are good for converting milling machines or as a single motor driving twin axes on a router when you need a bit more power but not so sure they are the goto setup for a wood router like you want to build ?

You can go a long way on Nema 23 at 70V so before you go bigger I would wait for a second opinion, or re-confirmation from Dean! I will admit that I haven’t checked the prices on Nema 23 + psu Vs Nema 34 mains. Ask twice and buy once is all I’m saying. And I’m not challenging or trying to upset the OP posts above I genuinely want to make sure you make the most informed choices and am inviting comment. Maybe the 25mm plywood swings it to Nema 34.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    To be honest I’m a bit confused by this thread and maybe it got off on the wrong foot in the first post when the OP was looking for big motors in the 8Nm to 12Nm range on what is still a router? Mains powered Nema 34 are good for converting milling machines or as a single motor driving twin axes on a router when you need a bit more power but not so sure they are the goto setup for a wood router like you want to build ?

You can go a long way on Nema 23 at 70V so before you go bigger I would wait for a second opinion, or re-confirmation from Dean! I will admit that I haven’t checked the prices on Nema 23 + psu Vs Nema 34 mains. Ask twice and buy once is all I’m saying. And I’m not challenging or trying to upset the OP posts above I genuinely want to make sure you make the most informed choices and am inviting comment. Maybe the 25mm plywood swings it to Nema 34.
    To be honest, I can't be bothered to go back and look at what the OP posted. But Yep, I 100% agree with what you are saying regards Nema23 @ 70V going along way on smaller machines, esp the 4.5Nm and 5.5nm closed-loop Lichuan sets.
    However on a larger machine then the mains power 34's are by far the better choice and because they have oodles of volts they spin very fast so are more than up to handling the requirements of a router and not just for mills.

All the machines I build over 4x4 use Mains AC 34's because they are far superior to Lower voltage drives with loads of power and because not messing around with transformers or caps etc. To be honest I almost exclusively use AC drives these days on the Nema 23/4's rather than DC setup's again for simplicity and less expensive.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information