. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Like a lot of folks here I have wanted to get into CNC for quite a while .
    My workshop is not large and some my machines are old “friends” . I did not really have space for a dedicated CNC lump and much of the attraction was in the process of the DIY build anyway. A learning process which was to become an project in itself.
    I did have a look at converting my old Deckel FP1 toolroom mill but It did not seem an easy candidate and I felt it would have been tantamount to butchering a vintage vehicle .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1361-001.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	267.5 KB 
ID:	28290

I explored lots of other options and came to the conclusion that one real possibility was to plant an X/Y table onto the machines own universal table .
    This compound table from Axminster tools looked like a pretty good candidate . https://www.axminstertools.com/axmin...d-table-400385 It was reasonably priced (for a tight northern pocket ) and if things did not work out then not too much was wasted. Things got even better though because I found one on Ebay which was new, albeit with some transit damage, and I won it for the princely sum of £40 with a small carriage charge . When I planted it on the table of my mill it fitted easily with still about 200 mm of headroom , (and all the machines own feeds, and traverses still untouched and available if needed)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00218-02.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	431.2 KB 
ID:	28291 this Chinese compound table fitted easily with ample headroom to spare

The idea of a Compound CNC table as a removable “accessory “ was appealing as it was light enough to lift off the table and put aside, on the same trolley as my PC and wheel it away into the corner.
    So the project started .
    Last edited by John11668; 16-06-2020 at 05:27 PM.

Thread Information