I have been given a non-funcional Surgrave Rotation S engraver, a well constructed commercial machine, but the controller boards were always a touch flakey and it simply doesn't work any longer. Suregrave as a company have long since disappeared so no help there and as I'm just a hobbyist I'm looking for a low cost solution to getting it working again. I have absolutey no experience with CNC machines but I do have a very good workshop, experience with putting electronics together and a great deal of patience and persistance!

Having tried Cut2D Desktop I'm certain that this is the design software for me, especially as it generates toolpaths and G Code from within the package, I'm now assuming that a Mach3 based controller system is the way to go to control the machine but am open to alternatives. However, I want this build to be as simple as possible, so I don't want to have learn any programming languages, I just want to be able to design an engraving in Cut2D, produce the code, send it to the machine and engrave.

The engraver uses ECMotion SECM264-2.0A stepper motors and a GEFEG 24V 17.4A 12000rpm spindle. The steppers are rated at 2.8A in bipolar parallel mode. Details of the stepper specs are shown below. I'll be running the system via a Windows 7 laptop with USB2.

As I'm so new to CNC I'm still uncertain as to exactly what I need and how the whole system should go together, so please be patient with me. My thoughts so far are that I need the following;
Software to design the engraving job and produce the relevant toolpaths and G Code (Cut2D Desktop?)
Software to run the motion controller (Mach3?)
A motion controller board to match the software above (Mach3 board? Which one? Recommendations? Must be cheap and available in the UK)
Stepper motor drivers to match the SECM steppers already installed (Recommendations?)
A spindle speed control board (Recommendations?)

I appreciate this is quite a long and complex list but I'd be grateful for any help. I'm based in Suffolk, near Ipswich if there's anyone local who reads this I'm very happy to meet at an appropriate social distance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	28340
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	28341