Hi all. I hope this is posted in the correct section - I did look at the descriptions of the other sections and this seems the most accurate (I am using a UC300ETH controller). I just wanted to know people's thoughts. I am almost at the end of my first CNC mill conversion and have just this morning heard about the plague of EMI on CNC machines.

I have a small mill (about X2 size but made by Real Bull rather than Sieg). I have a UC300ETH controller and breakout board, DM556 stepper drivers and Nema 24 566 oz.in steppers. I have ME-8108 limit switches on each axis. Each stepper driver will have its own power supply (36v 5a for X and Y axis and 48v 5a for the Z axis). The controller will use a repurposed computer PSU with a boost converter that I put inside it to get 24v. This is (probably obviously) not anything other than a hobby so things are done on a budget.

The mill is on a movable table, metal framed with a metal coolant tray under the mill. The motor is a brushed motor, controlled by the controller provided by the manufacturer - I think it is a universal motor. All the other electronic hardware is underneath the mill in a wooden drawer.

I hadn't considered any requirement for shielded cables or any suppression. I had planned to use unshielded throughout. I wont be making aircraft grade parts or anything of the sort. But do you think I could be opening up a can of worms if I dont use shielded? With no VFD or any high frequency motors, do you think I can get away without shielding? If the answer is no or not likely, what is the bare minimum I should shield?

Thank you very much for any answers / recommendations you can provide.