Ok well, this convinces me even more that it's something wrong with the linear stage rather than the motor.

I fit these types of motors all the time, by type I mean 3 phase Motor with 220V mains powered drives and I can tell you without a doubt that at this size just reducing the current shouldn't make it stall on an unloaded linear stage that using ball-screws.! . . . Unless the stage as gots excessive friction from misalignment or something being bent.

This also fits with the noise because the power in these motors will easily overcome any friction, other than outright sticking, this would cause vibrations as it powers thru any sticktion.
For instance, a 7.5Nm Nema 34 motor with 220V drives connected to a ball-screw will easily lift a fully grown man off the ground and not bat an eyelid.
When working on a CNC machine it will happily accelerate a 50kg mass holding the spindle in excess of 2G to a velocity of 20mtr/min and bring it back to a dead stop in fractions of seconds and then push that same mass with a 12.5mm tool thru a solid piece of Oak at 8mtr/min.!!

So hopefully you're getting some idea of what I mean when I say an unloaded linear stage that uses a ball screw shouldn't be making it stall just because the current is set a little low.

I'm sticking with my first suggestion that the linear stage is binding or bent or twisted.!