. .

Thread: Advice Required

Hi guys, I am trying (without much luck so far) to source a new spindle for my RF45 mill. It was in a bygone day branded as a Chester Lux. I got it about 10 years ago and converted it to cnc. About two years ago I also converted it from a geared drive to just a belt drive so as I could get more rpm (up to 3000rpm). I have always had a soft knocking noise from the spindle, so while on lockdown I decided to take it apart and renew the bearings. Whilst it was stripped down I noticed that the bearings weren't quite what I would call a "bearing fit" on the spindle, eg they could be pulled on and off just by finger pressure. I can only assume that this could be causing the noise I am hearing. The splines on the top of the spindle are also slightly worn.

So, I am trying to find another spindle, but can't seem to find anything. I am waiting on Chester Machinetools getting back to me as I type this, but am wondering if I have any other options. Is there such a thing as a motor/spindle combined where I could just remove the whole head, and fabricate a mounting for such a thing. Ideally I would like to increase the spindle speed even more (5000/7000rpm, but not to the point of fitting a chinese water cooled job as I think the neighbours would be complaining too much.

If anyone has a spare spindle with an MT3 end, that they no longer need, or if anyone can suggest an alternative I'd be happy to hear from them.

Quote Originally Posted by needleworks View Post
    Ideally I would like to increase the spindle speed even more (5000/7000rpm, but not to the point of fitting a chinese water cooled job as I think the neighbours would be complaining too much.
    Why would your neighbors complain.? Water-cooled spindles are very very quiet, probably quieter than your current spindle.!!

If you buy from China you will get a spindle with a proper BT30 or 40 taper or better still HSK rather than an ancient MT. Depending on how deep your pockets are with ATC as well.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Why would your neighbors complain.? Water-cooled spindles are very very quiet, probably quieter than your current spindle.!!

If you buy from China you will get a spindle with a proper BT30 or 40 taper or better still HSK rather than an ancient MT. Depending on how deep your pockets are with ATC as well.
    The reason I'm concerned about noise is because my friend runs a high speed water cooled spindle on his machine and I can sometimes tell if he's in the workshop when I come up his drive because of a high pitched whine when cutting, and I already have about 40 x er32 toolholders (TTS style) that all fit in a MT3 to 3/4 adapter

Quote Originally Posted by needleworks View Post
    The reason I'm concerned about noise is because my friend runs a high speed water cooled spindle on his machine and I can sometimes tell if he's in the workshop when I come up his drive because of a high pitched whine when cutting, and I already have about 40 x er32 toolholders (TTS style) that all fit in a MT3 to 3/4 adapter
    I've fit literally 100's of WC spindles and the noise from the spindle is very low and just about all the main noise comes from the cutter/material.

I know what you mean about the tool holders, it's like cameras.? you get tied to a specific brand because of the investment in lenses which is where the money goes but sooner or later you have to bite the bullet and invest in better gear and to me, if your replacing the spindle there is no better time.?
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

I've fit literally 100's of WC spindles and the noise from the spindle is very low and just about all the main noise comes from the cutter/material.

I know what you mean about the tool holders, it's like cameras.? you get tied to a specific brand because of the investment in lenses which is where the money goes but sooner or later you have to bite the bullet and invest in better gear and to me, if your replacing the spindle there is no better time.?
    Thanks Dean, would you happen to have any links to the kind of thing I should be looking for ? I'm clueless about all this stuff !
    If I could only get a new original spindle I may get another 10 years out of it, by which time I think I will have had enough anyway.

Thread Information