. .
    Just a warning - there is a scammer who keeps listing a Boxford machine on ebay at a low starting bid price. He asks you to email him for the buy it now price. He replies by email and gives you a low price and directs you to a site that looks like ebay but is not. There is a link on this page to a payment page for a bank account in Spain. He is quite plausible, but will not let you view the machine (because it does not exist). (He is also listing sewing machines, folding bicycles and other things but I mention the CNC machine because people here might be tempted.) He uses multiple email addresses and is probably using hacked Ebay accounts. I keep reporting him to Ebay but they are slow to take action.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jolyonjenkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jolyonjenkins View Post
    Just a warning - there is a scammer who keeps listing a Boxford machine on ebay at a low starting bid price. He asks you to email him for the buy it now price. He replies by email and gives you a low price and directs you to a site that looks like ebay but is not. There is a link on this page to a payment page for a bank account in Spain. He is quite plausible, but will not let you view the machine (because it does not exist). (He is also listing sewing machines, folding bicycles and other things but I mention the CNC machine because people here might be tempted.) He uses multiple email addresses and is probably using hacked Ebay accounts. I keep reporting him to Ebay but they are slow to take action.
    Waste of time reporting to ebay, as you say it takes ages for scam listings to be removed and, soon as they take one down another 2 pop-up to replace it. Often the give away is contact information (email address) in item description, or in a picture to avoid emails going via ebay.
    If you do spot a potential bargain on ebay, there is no way of knowing if it's genuine or not.

Facebook is worse for scam adverts. I responded to three last year and the goods that arrived were nothing like advertised. I got my money back on all 3 through PayPal, but not without a fight.

One of the items was a travel guitar and this is what I received :-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02602.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	29976

The scammer insisted I send it back to China by recorded delivery and this cost £10.85 (which I recovered). It was returned to me as unclaimed a few weeks ago.

The irony is that I never wear a watch nowadays anyway. If I did I would wear one of the good ones I have, not this cheap crap.

So NEVER buy anything from a FACEBOOK AD.

Tasty watch:smile
    cheers
    Andrew
    Last edited by the great waldo; 19-05-2021 at 10:06 AM.

Under the UKs regulations/distanceselling rules (basically covers online or mail order purchases) returned item only have to go back to the source within the uk from where they were sent. It would be nice it ebay actually understood the law in the countries it operates in. As for Facebook, i have items listed in market place, i guess the advice there has to be buyer beware. check out the profile of the seller, copy and paste their facebook name into the search tab on the top left of the page, match up the avatar/image they have used to make sure its them, click on that name from list - look for the three dots then select the extended profile. Funny how they think a school in a far out country and images of forigen sex workers as friends is going to pass off as a profile. Its like Microsoft phoning me up, really, they know better id give them both verbal barrels. Windows is pants.

Thread Information