Hi folks! It’s been a year since last I posted (life got in the way of building my machine again, plus funding), but I’ve got bits and pieces coming my way. Ballscrews from Fred will be ordered next week once I finalize dimensions. In the meantime I ordered some servos (4x400w delta b2 series 220v), have the controller board on the way (EdingCNC 720), and the spindle is back ordered for a bit.

So I’m trying to wrap my head around the best/safest way to wire up the control box. The controller is 24v, so what I want going in is:
- 220v to the VFD
- 220v to the servo drives and a 24v PSU

Then the questions. The Delta manual suggests an EMI filter between the wall supply and the motor power input (not the control input). It shows a contactor for the entire drive in case of faults. I’ve been watching and reading other servo documentation (like DMM’s videos for their Dyn4 drives) as well. I’m not an electrician. I understand the basics and guitar wiring, but I don’t have a feel for best practices. I have an electrical engineer buddy who will double check my work for idiot errors.

What I’m considering doing is putting in a filtered and fused IEC for each of the power lines (VFD and drives/controller). The question is whether this is enough? Should I be EMI filtering each individual servo drive? To keep noise away from the other drives/from the PSU?

For safety, I want to wire in contactor(s) for the VFD and the drives. And non-fused breakers before that to isolate parts of the circuit as needed, perhaps.

Assuming it’s sufficiently rated, my gut instinct would be to install that between the power supply and the motor (not control) power for each drive. If there is a fault in any one drive or the E-stop gets triggered this would cut power to the servos, but not the control circuits. I’ve seen some folks put in a contactor per drive - I don’t really understand why that would be needed. I figure if one drive faults, or the E-stop system triggers, I want them all to stop. Leaving power to the control circuit should let me see which drive went AWOL.

I may add more questions as the wiring schematic evolves further, but that’s the bit that’s tripping me up right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro