. .
    Hi, I am new to the forum but have spent a good few hours researching on here how best to convert an old Boxford 125 TCL to a more modern system

The issue I am having is that a lot of the conversions on here are that I can find are pretty old and the tech seems to be moving on so quickly I am not sure what the best course of action is.

My criteria is:

1. I would like to be able to connect to a modern computer via USB, I am not interested in trying to use the old tech
    2. I would like to be able to ID - OD single point thread on this machine
    3. as simple and straightforward a conversion as possible

As far as I can tell I need Nema 23 motors for each axis and everyone seems to use the original spindle motor. Beyond that, I would like to lean on the forum members' experience for recommendations.

What hardware would you recommend? I see there are closed-loop kits available on Ebay - Are they any good? what hardware do I need to control the spindle?

I know this question must have been asked many times but Ideally, I would like someone who has completed a nice, usable conversion to tell me what to get and what things to look out for on this conversion. The advice would be very appreciated.

I also have a Contour Minor Mill that I will convert at some point as well but let's start with the Boxford

Regards

Ricky

Hi tricky

I am working my way through a TCL project and now have it working although much refinement to do , but It does handle external threading fairly nicely.
    I used the original stepper motors and spindle motor but the lenze controller fell over and I had to get a DC drive for the spindle motor. Used this one https://inverterdrive.com/group/DC-T...0-Isolated-1Q/ Dont be tempted to the non isolated version- they can bite

Kept the original 24 V power supply initially. Not sure at this stage if it will be up to the job. but it worked for me . (Good enough to start with)
    I was trying to keep it cheap as it was to be just a learning project so got a pair of stepper drivers and a BoB from Ebay (cheap as chips )

Mach 3 will not give you reliable threading I tried it with UC100 controller in USB .
    I have been guided to Linux. Mach 4 claim to give threading but it is a mountain to climb and a costly licence particularly if you cant get it working. Linux is free and works on a relatively low grade machine .

If you are throwing out the boxford boards there may be interest on here!

I feel I need to add that I am far from being the most experienced on here so maybe not best placed to advise you but at least I have gone though the TCL mill and made a few mistakes. I am confident that Mach3 will not do your job. I looked at Mach 4 , but was not prepared to shell out for the license until the M4 folks could convince me it worked and I never really got a satisfactory answer. They haven't even got around to writing the manual yet and I understand it has been around for ten years or more .
    Linux it seems has to operate though a parallel port so an older machine has advantages but if you wish to use your TCL keyboard you will need an additional PP too. Those however with current wisdom seem to favour Ethernet controllers which give lots more scope for the inputs from your buttons.

I am having an intermittent problem with missing steps at the moment so still got a bit of work before I can consider my own task successfull

4. The Following User Says Thank You to John11668 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John11668 View Post
    I feel I need to add that I am far from being the most experienced on here so maybe not best placed to advise you but at least I have gone though the TCL mill and made a few mistakes. I am confident that Mach3 will not do your job. I looked at Mach 4 , but was not prepared to shell out for the license until the M4 folks could convince me it worked and I never really got a satisfactory answer. They haven't even got around to writing the manual yet and I understand it has been around for ten years or more .
    Linux it seems has to operate though a parallel port so an older machine has advantages but if you wish to use your TCL keyboard you will need an additional PP too. Those however with current wisdom seem to favour Ethernet controllers which give lots more scope for the inputs from your buttons.

I am having an intermittent problem with missing steps at the moment so still got a bit of work before I can consider my own task successfull
    Not exactly true about linuxcnc needing a parallel port or two
    You can use linuxcnc through a mesa board in any pc with a spare pci slot and as such don’t need the parallel port however cost are rather high for the Mesa boards into the £300 price tag for just the boards
    They do give an almost unlimited amount of input and output pins but at a great cost

As John says linuxcnc will happily run an older pc hardware with the parallel port on board plus you can add a further port(s) with pci cards for a few quid each
    I have an orac lathe and a boxford VMC190 mill both running on linuxcnc using 2 parallel ports in each pc
    This gives me enough input pins for a reasonable control panel and the total cost of the PC’s parallel port cards cables BOB’s etc is under the £50 mark
    I use the lathe and mill a lot and neither have ever missed a beat, lost steps or done any another weird shit that mach3 used to do a lot of the time

There is however a learning curve with linuxcnc configuration, the manual is very good but written for techies but there is an helpful community of users that know a lot about how it works and how to configure it
    The step and config wizard will get you a basic set up for the lathe in about 20 mins the complexity comes when you start wanting to add buttons and knobs to the control panel

Does your tcl125 have a manual or automatic tool changer. If manual then the basic config in linuxcnc is a simple job with the config wizard but if the auto tool changer is being used that this element will involve manually updating the Hal and ini files

In summary don’t rule out the parallel port as it is old be well tried and tested and cheap plus it is far better than a usb connection but not as good as an Ethernet connection (which is a LOT more expensive)

Would be a no brainer if the lathe was a large industrial machine needing servos etc

Close loop steppers are not really needed. My orac holds tolerances of 0.0005” all day over dozens of components and is running the standard stepper motors at 60volts with modern stepper drivers. No close loop steppers on that machine

All the best. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to depronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks the advice guys. Ok, i guess i should avoid mach 3 then and i need a board that is suitable for linuxCNC

The only issue is that I'm not going to buy an old computer with a parallel port. Can i get one that will work from USB or Ethernet?

Maybe i could use a raspberry Pi and integrate it into the machine but can i use a Raspberry Pi for LinuxCNC?

My 125TCL does not have a tool changer, its a pretty basic model but everything seems to work in manual mode except 2 of the axis control buttons don’t work.

I guess someone on here could make use of the old parts once i have converted the machine?

Not sure if you have seen this conversion with Linuxcnc and a P/port

The 125 has to be able to reverse the spindle depending on the tool used

For threading it need a slotted disc with index

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...I-XNmGD3W_ZPEO

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jSFoxEmnAqkUSKoL7
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

You could use a Mesa 7i76E board which connects via ethernet - this is better than USB and avoids the need for a PP. http://store.mesanet.com/index.php?r...product_id=290 These are around the £200-250 mark by the time you have imported them either from EU or US but would have all the IO you'd need for a lathe conversion, assuming you have step/dir drives rather than analogue +/-10V and you aren't planning to go closed loop with linear encoders. It includes a 0-10V spindle output, spindle encoder input, step/dir outputs and loads of GPIO for limit switches, VFD controls etc.

As mentioned, LinuxCNC is very capable and there is a great support community but getting up to speed with it and figuring out how to set it up is a rite of passage. It requires some bravery / naivety and a large measure of stubbornness.

Some people are running LinuxCNC on a RPi instead of a PC but I suspect that would require additional reserves of said bravery / naivety etc.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Muzzer For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys, the advice is very helpful - for this lathe I think I will try to get to grips with a simple LunuxCNC setup. I have already bought Stepper motors and drivers from here https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/

They seem cost-effective and they arrived in 48 hours

Whilst researching I stumbled upon this stand-alone CNC controller - https://www.masso.com.au/ It seems super slick and while not the cheapest option it does seem to offer a level of value for money that I find enticing. No need for another computer and fully integrated. This may be a bit too much for 125 TCL but I have a small Mill that I also want to convert. what do you think?

I personally wouldnt go that way . I have found it easy to make smoke appear from elements of my system. No hardship replacing a BoB, a bit painful replacing a Mesa board but wouldnt want to have to replace one of those

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky6363 View Post
    Thanks guys, the advice is very helpful - for this lathe I think I will try to get to grips with a simple LunuxCNC setup. I have already bought Stepper motors and drivers from here https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/

They seem cost-effective and they arrived in 48 hours

Whilst researching I stumbled upon this stand-alone CNC controller - https://www.masso.com.au/ It seems super slick and while not the cheapest option it does seem to offer a level of value for money that I find enticing. No need for another computer and fully integrated. This may be a bit too much for 125 TCL but I have a small Mill that I also want to convert. what do you think?
    That cnc controllers is expensive for a tcl but if money is no object then get your cheque book out
    I will be sticking with a freebie desktop and a couple of parallel port boards and linuxcnc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information