. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in herne bay, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21-11-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 13. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Hi all, I would like some suggestion for a quiet pump to cool my 2.5 kw spindle. The one which was supplied when I brought the kit is the loudest thing when running the machine.

Cheers Tony

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 9 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I use a cheap pump (Whale brand) sold for water supplies in caravans and boats. In theory, it's not rated for continuous operation but I run it on 5V instead of 12V (but with 12V available for filling the pipework when needed) and it runs for hours on end. Virtually silent running like that - I have to look for the odd bubble in the pipe to check that it's running. Never had any problems with overheating. I've been using it for years now. Others feel that more cooling is needed and go for PC water-cooling fans and radiators (which reduces pipe runs) or more powerful pumps but my experience has been that the cooling needed is often over-estimated. Maybe I just don't work my 2.2KW spindle hard enough...

Yes, you don't seem to need a lot of cooling. I run my spindle (2KW) pretty hard at times and the water doesn't really ever get more than gently warm. My reservoir is a tallish aluminium pot though which will help by radiating heat rather better than a thick walled plastic container would.

Look for a pump used for solar heating, they come either 12 or 24v. They are designed for continuous use and very quiet.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Lives in herne bay, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21-11-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 13. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Thank you for suggestions I have ordered a solar pump. Next question is I just add normal car anti freeze to the water supply but found some debris in it when cleaning out the tank any thoughts.

Cheers Tony

Not sure why you'd add antifreeze to a spindle cooling system used in a workshop. What you probably need is some corrosion inhibiter - presumably the easiest source would be central heating additive from the likes of Screwfix or ebay? Hopefully there are people here who know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    Not sure why you'd add antifreeze to a spindle cooling system used in a workshop.
    Perhaps because when used at the recommended concentration it includes the correct corrosion inhibitors plus chemicals which improve cooling as well as preventing freezing?
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

8. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

That was my idea, my shed does get cold and I will use the red anti freeze for use with aluminium heads.

Cheers Tony

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I use a small dose of antifreeze to stop biological growth.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Perhaps because when used at the recommended concentration it includes the correct corrosion inhibitors plus chemicals which improve cooling as well as preventing freezing?
    Exactly the reasons and it also stops bio growth.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information