Hi,

This is my first post so apologies if it's in the wrong place or wrong format etc.

I've been wanting to make a cnc mill for a long time now but have been struggling to decide on a format. I recently stumbled on a video of the Langmuir MR-1 cnc mill and that seems to pretty much tick all the boxes. They don't ship to the UK and I've already accumulated loads of ball screws, linear rails etc. over the years so I've decided I'm going to make one. I've made one cnc router in the past but I've never fully had the time (or space) to use it to it properly. However because of my job (freelance industrial designer) I really need to get something up and running so that I can make proof of principle mock-ups and prototypes quickly.

At this stage, the thing about the Langmuir MR-1 that I don't know how to do is the spindle. They use a 2.5kw AC servo that runs 0-8000 rpm and is rated at 240v. I would like to build a similar system but I don't know where to start sourcing the servo motor/driver or learning how to get it running.

So far I only have experience of using stepper motors and the Teknomotor spindle that I bought off ebay which was already wired up to a VFD. Electronics aren't my strong point - the control box for my current cnc was a carefully copied version of Joe's one that he kindly worked through with the help of Jazz (big thanks to you both. I am eternally grateful!).

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/mr1

If anyone can point me in the direction of a similar servo system - preferably one that has some documentation or youtube videos that I can begin to understand how to wire it up and get it working with Mach3 then that would be great.

Thanks, Jon.