. .

Thread: Desktop beast

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 118. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Following along also, on first sight I did think "oh the webbing on that looks a bit thin for this", then I read the post and viewed the last image :) certainly looks well made...

Edit: Seen the website dont need an answer to this question.
    The M12 is nice, is it the correct hole size for tapping or just close enough, Vallder is a new one to me so will be off to their website in a mo, do they design this profile for this specific application with regards to everything fitting nicely (rails, bearings etc) or ?

Are you making the plates yourself or do you have help with those?

Concrete
    What type and mix are you using, standard Portland type isn't really up to the job you know, may be able to advise you here if you don't know why?

Ooo El Beast is a personal fav over here to

Edit: Also if not to late etc, it is usually done that the linear rails for the Z Axis would be installed on the Spindle plate, with the bearings being mounted to the gantry in a fixed position, making the distance from the bearing to cutter tip a variable distance rather than a fixed distance?
    Hey Lee

Yeah the vallder stuff is specifically for such application on gantries, they do have an X axis in production apparently but not yet released. So this type utilises 20mm rails and will take upto HG20 series carriages with 10mm t nuts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc-x-axis-alu-profile-2.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	31355

Ignore the M12 comment they're for my L 90 series extrusion which incidentally is M14 I got mixed up, the gantry extrusion takes M10.
    https://www.matara.com/product/alumi...inium-profile/

The rest of the plates are being machined on my other that's being replaced by this one I made years ago, the build of this one is on here somewhere. You can see how substantially made the extrusion is and size.

Name:	20221007_185344.jpg 
Views:	594 
Size:	268.9 KB 
ID:	31353

The concrete is mainly a dampening agent for harmonic reduction as the span and construction of this extrusion hasn't got that much deflection, I did consider the expanding epoxy based concrete but when factoring in the shipping and price/kg it was not worth it.

The Z axis I've gone through two iterations and had so many people having their own input, this is the first one that was based on Zee's design a little but when looking at the deflection it proved to be poor and such went back to one I've settled on in the renders above. I'm able to get full travel with maximum travel with both as the travel is only 80mm for this design and I tend to only do plate work and not anything mounted in vices.

Name:	unknown (2).png 
Views:	487 
Size:	300.1 KB 
ID:	31354

Yeah it's a shame Zee never carried on with his posts, enjoyed following his mad ideas.

Rob
    Last edited by RobC; 28-10-2022 at 01:06 AM.

Thread Information