. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hello members, thanks for allowing me to join your group.

I have a Maximat V10P, I guess its around fifty years old, plus?

It belonged to my good friend who had his own pro engineering shop and kept this one in his home garage for making items like fishing reels, he was a really good engineer! when he passed away I was able to purchase the Maximat from his wife.

As I have had it some time now I have sorted out certain issues and serviced and cleaned it, it has the one issue though, if I have a shaft in the chuck and run a machine tool along it towards the chuck the run out is 0.003" in only 1 9/16" which is way too much.

I have tested the run out from both sides of the shaft being cleaned up, cutting from the front it will cut deeper towards the chuck, if I then machine from the other side of the shaft it will undercut and by the same 0.003".

I see no way to adjust the gear head shaft, or the entire gear head box either, is there a fix for this problem?

Note, the beds do show wear but that will take the tool holder lower, which should not be an issue?

Has anyone got any ideas please?

Regards

RoyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Maximat V10p headstock drawing.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	32062
    Last edited by Africanimp; 27-12-2023 at 02:59 PM. Reason: To load a drawing

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    There will be some way to adjust the headstock, but it might involves scraping or shimming.

First step I'd suggest is finding a parts diagram, so you can see how the headstock attaches to the bed.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    There will be some way to adjust the headstock, but it might involves scraping or shimming.

First step I'd suggest is finding a parts diagram, so you can see how the headstock attaches to the bed.
    Thanks, I do have the exploded parts page, it shows that shaft and with a bearing each end, no shims, I did read about paper shims, which makes little sense?

My steel square on the beds shows the traveling bed to be spot on, so it is the head stock shaft.

I have tried to up load the drawing of the parts but it does not work.

I have managed to up load the drawing of parts in my opening page, the main shaft has a bearing on either end, I see no sign of a shim or adjustment.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    The spindle itself won't adjust.

The entire headstock assembly will need to be adjusted.
    It's possibly done by the grubscrews (No. 48), but there will likely be some correct order to do the adjustment. Probably slacken the main mounting bolts, adjust the grub screws, then re-tighten. You may need to fully remove the headstock to work out how they adjust, but you'll have to be aware of any shims that might have been used.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    The spindle itself won't adjust.

The entire headstock assembly will need to be adjusted.
    It's possibly done by the grubscrews (No. 48), but there will likely be some correct order to do the adjustment. Probably slacken the main mounting bolts, adjust the grub screws, then re-tighten. You may need to fully remove the headstock to work out how they adjust, but you'll have to be aware of any shims that might have been used.
    Thanks, that will be a big job.

I would think I need a test bar say 12" long to center on the Tailstock center point?

The mount bolts are hidden at the back by the drive motor, so that will need removal also.

All the best and thanks for your comments!

You need to check the bed levelling, don't try fiddling with the headstock alignment. There is probably a small amount of twist in the bed which can be removed first by making sure the stand is rigidly fixed to the floor, then careful adjustment of the clamping bolts holding the lathe bed down. A precision spirit level is very helpful to test across the bed at various points to make sure they are all coplanar.

Thinking this issue a bit more, shims would not help in my case, as its more a problem with making the headstock move right or left, in my case when viewed from above and looking towards the tailstock I need it to move to the left of the machine?

Thanks on your comment.

The lathe cupboard was not bolted down when I bought it, seems that my late friend saw no reason to do that?

It is mounted on two thick steel blocks and one each end of the machine, a single bolt in the center keeps things in place.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maximat V10p steel block mounts.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	32063

The traveling bed is spot on with the rails that it fits on to, all parts were removed and cleaned, oiled and work really well.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maximat steel square test.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	269.2 KB 
ID:	32064

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information