Hi One & All,

This is my first time on this forum and I need some help with designing a small drive for a wagon. I need very steady and precise speed. With what I have gathered from the Internet that a STEPPER MOTOR would best, cheap and easies to do the job but not how to calculate correct size is not real there.

Specifications

1. The “Target Speed” of the wagon is about a half an inch per second.
2.Need a “HOLD” “RUN” control.
3. Need to vary the speed, about + 10% of “Target Speed” and still keep steady and precise speed.
4. Need to reverse the unit direction from time to time.
5. I would like to keep the total added weight (Stepper Motor & Driver) to two pounds or less.
6. The wheels on the wagon are four inches in diameters
7. The total weight of everything on the wagon and the wagon is about forty pounds.
8. The unit needed to come up to target speed fast, stay at that speed and STOP as fast as it can.
9. The driver wheel on the stepper motor was thinking of using a skate wheel which comes in diameters from 50 mm to 100 mm.
10. Wagon will be travelling level surface.
11. Drive and controller will be powered by BATTERIES.

The Ramsey Electronic controller has the features that we were look for and I believe it can drive NEMA 23 & 27 stepper motors but I am not sure?

www.ramseyelectronics.com/downloads/manuals/SMD1.pdf

What I need to know the following:

A. The NEMA type stepper motor?
B. The gear ratio on the stepper motor. 1:5, OR 1:10. OR 1:50, OR 1:100?
C. Power requirements of the stepper motor?
D. Size of the wheel on the stepper motor to drive the wagon wheel?
E. The frequency to drive the stepper motor plus pulse shape?
F. If possible I would like to use the Ramsey Electronics stepper motor controller!

I think I covered everything? Thank you for any help that you can give me in this project.

BEN