Finally got my X2 waiting in the workshop, trouble is before I start making swarf I need to get tooled up!

I've been looking around for a vice and I'm frankly bewildered. I took a bit of a gamble and ordered one from Axminster - unfortunately at 4" it's a bit too big and I'm not that impressed with the fit and finish so it's going back.

So I now know that it's probably a 3" vice I want, budget is £50-100 but possibly a smidge more.

I notice a lot of people seem to use the screwless precision type vices like this one on their X2s, this one is sold by Chronos and seems cheap at £65. I assume they're popular for a reason and I like the V grooves for holding round work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110102L.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	3229

The other one whch has caught my eye also on Chronos (£81 this time) is this one which is described as a low profile vice - this sounds good as I know I may struggle for Z axis clearance with larger drills but am I going to miss the extra jaw depth?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110070L.jpg 
Views:	1521 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	3230

Would greatly appreciate some advice from anyone on these or any other vices you might reccomend.

Thanks,
Alan.