. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 26-09-2012 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 29.
    Hi All,
    I need some advice. I have a Myford VMC (Knee mill like the chester 626) with a 2Kw 3 phase Inverter controlled motor.

i am trying to mill some 6mm thick aluminium plate. this materil came with a plastic film on one side.

i have tried using a 6mm 2 flute slot mill (Roebuck 020166) to mill a slot and all i achieve it clogging the cutter and the hole sides look like a piece of putty that someone has poked a finger trough i.e. the sides are peeled back as if it has over-heated.
    Regards,
    Roy Stark

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    are you using coolant.

As soon as the cutter clogs you will get an extremely bad finish, was it cutting well before it clogged.?

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 26-09-2012 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 29.
    no i dont have a coolant system. but i suppose i can rig up something to drip (fast) onto the job.
    i start to clog almost immediatly. i have tried varing the spindle speed but ge the same result.
    Regards,
    Roy Stark

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    sheet ally is usually pretty soft, and will gum up quickly. Try a hand spray with suitable coolant.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i2i For This Useful Post:

Lives in London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-02-2012 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 5.
    Cooling is not important for ali, what is important is stopping the chips sticking to the bit as it's a soft and gummy material. Quick and easy would be WD40, get a can of that with a quick squirt as it goes to keep it lubricated, if your pocketing stop frequently to clear chips, you don't want to be re-cutting them.
    Other way of doing it is if you have a compressor, keep a jet of air pointed at the bit to blow the chips away. Coated bits are also good for ali.

..........Rikk

Sounds like the cutting edge has picked up a layer of gunge and isn't a cutting edge anymore. Prise it off with a screwdriver. As soon as the edge gunges you stop cutting, start cold forming and the finish goes to pot.

Silly question, but if you don't know what's going wrong you could be a noob. Are you trying to do a 6mm slot in one pass with a 6mm tool? :heehee:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Hewitt For This Useful Post:

Wats a "noob". i am trying to do the slots in .5 -.8mm passes.

i used the same slot drill to clean/squar the edges and those seemed to work OK, but if i try slot citting/milling the tool fouls um within 1mm. it was till early this morning a brand new tool. this is first usage.
    Regards,
    Roy Stark

10. [QUOTE=croy;22556] i am trying to do the slots in .5 -.8mm passes.
    /QUOTE]
    I did 3000rpm while slotting 2mm deep/pass (I can try to find cambam file to check feedrate but I think 60mm/min 4mm dia 4flute) with coolant of course. results: http://malamuterun.co.uk/CPU%20water...ter_cooler.htm

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wiatroda For This Useful Post:

i'll try this again in the morning. have to go out this afternoon.
    Waitroda if i can get a result anywhere close to your i'd be happy. thanks all for advice.
    Regards,
    Roy Stark

13. Quote Originally Posted by croy View Post
    Waitroda if i can get a result anywhere close to your i'd be happy. thanks all for advice.
    You welcome :)
    I would insist coolant is key to your success, but I can be wrong of course :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information