Okay folks,

Starting the design and materials work on a new CNC Mill. Reasons are the current kit that I use does not have a long enough table, or Z travel, and a few other issues. So instead of trying to improve on what I have (though I will be doing that as well in the process); looking at building from base.

Size looking at is an X between 750mm to 1.5m, an Y of 500mm, Z of 150 - 175mm and adding an A with the ability to handle between 100 - 125mm dia. max.

Currently looking to go with profile rails for the guides. drive will be by either ballscrews or trapezoid screws (down to cost and how tight I can get tolerances for the work I am doing).

Looking at move over to a control spindle from the Kress I use on the current set up.

Structure is an area that I am still looking at as extruded has good points as does box frame. Also doing design work and as things move will be posting the designs up and then as things move into real pieces will be adding those as well.

On the router currently in use will be raising the Z and converting to anti backlash nuts on all three axi' which means a rebuild of the Y and Z. The X axis will just need a mounting bracket milled and taped for it to be converted.

I will be asking questions along the way as while I have learned alot there is always more to learn.

Michael