. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Regarding the rails, I was actually reading about them the other day (can't remember if it was on HSM, CNCZone, or the Mach Forum!), and the general consensus is most hobby builds are majorly over engineered, as there was some big commercial machine running 15mm rails for the long axis. The only reason I was reading about them, is I've got plans for a new machine bubbling away in my mind, and linear rails are featuring.
    Looks like we've been reading the same things. I agree that if you calculate based on the load ratings they seem plenty strong enough...I'm going to use them on my machine unless some >15mm turn up cheap on eBay. I think that's the reason most people use bigger, because it's what was available at the time on eBay.
    You may need to watch out for the moment ratings, though for the size of your machine it should be fine, just space the rails out on each axis as far as you can.

(That's a bit vague I know, I can give some numbers/examples if required)

2. Jonathan are talking to m_c or me on the rail spacing issue? Also you what would you charge to mill the bracket we are talking about for me? Well back to working on the drawing and setting things up as need be.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
    Jonathan are talking to m_c or me on the rail spacing issue?
    I was talking in general really. On the axis the Z-axis is attached to in particular (Y in your case), the further apart the bearings are the lower the force on each when cutting and (to a lesser extent) accelerating. If you take moments in the X-Z plane then it's pretty obvious why...

Also you what would you charge to mill the bracket we are talking about for me? Well back to working on the drawing
    I'm not so sure what's required. I can let you know when you've done the drawing...

4. Okay,

Let's see if I can get these files up properly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anti backlash nut bracket 2D.jpg 
Views:	820 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	4375
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anti backlash nut bracket.jpg 
Views:	2282 
Size:	303.4 KB 
ID:	4374

Sorry that they are jpeg's as it would not let me load the .dwg or .iges file format. That is the bracket I designed to go with a dumpsterCNC anti backlash nut for a 12mm trapezoid leadscrew. Clearance is only 40mm in height. Any opinions???

Also Checking on available box Aluminium in the area but is looking like I have a really good source of off cuts (some over 2 metres) of 12mm Aluminium plate. Any and all views would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

How are you joining the two pieces together? That joint needs to be strong so that an axial force on the screw does not bend the bracket. I'd be inclined to either make it out of one piece, or use something thicker for the vertical part.

Also Checking on available box Aluminium in the area but is looking like I have a really good source of off cuts (some over 2 metres) of 12mm Aluminium plate. Any and all views would be greatly appreciated.
    Excellent, can I have some ?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,910. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Looks fine. If you can't find a bit suitable angle, it could be roughed from a bit solid alu with minimal effort.

Or if you could survive with steel, I might even have a bit suitable angle lying around (I think I came across some 2 or 3" angle during a search for something else the other week!).

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Excellent, can I have some ?
    I'm nearer and can collect :naughty:

7. What took so long and what is taking time. Is a drawing I am working on to improve my skill working with the new program. I really like ViaCAD 2D/3Dv8 for CAD work over the program I was using. To give you an idea of what I was doing here is a Jpeg of the Nut.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12mm backlash nut.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	4382

So that is one of the projects I am working on. Also designing replacement combs for Bends Chromatic harmonicas (48's,56's,64's)as the business closed their doors down in Brazil (but have not sold off their stock so who knows). Hohner Meisterclasse acrylic comb and once the new mill is built acrylic mouth pieces for the Hohner and Suzuki Bass harmonicas. As well as slowly plugging along at reverse engineering the Hohner harmonetta (which I am now considered and OEM parts provider for that instrument by Hohner). That and other odd bits and pieces. Then milling them. Oh, yeah and jigs to make for more accurate set up.

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12mm backlash nut.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	4381  

Thread Information