. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    1) All the C7 screws I've got have been <0.001" backlash... even after a fair bit of use. Also, I'm not sure, but I reckon the delrin nuts will be a lot more 'springy'.
    Either way for a mill your best off using two ballnuts with a spring in between to eliminate backlash (google it).
    2) No, luckily that's not right. The stepper motor torque is vector sum of the motor winding currents, so 1.41 (root 2) for full step and 1.00 (as sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1) for a microstep drive. However that doesn't apply now as for over 10 years microstepping drivers have used morphing, distorting the waveform from sine/cos to closer to square to achieve the full torque.
    3) Advantage for ballscrew as the higher pitch means screw angular velocity is much less, so the inertia and thus the energy the motor has to impart into the screw is a lot less. May not be that significant compared to the relatively high coefficient of friction of dovetail slides, but definitely is on a machine with rolling bearing slides.
    4)Ballscrew definately wins ... hardened metal rolling versus hard steel *sliding* on plastic!

I still have ACME screws on my mill that I converted to CNC a few years ago ... it works fine, fast enough, but the backlash is really annoying so I'm going to convert it to ballscrews asap. When I've decided what diameter screws are best and will fit.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 07-10-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    1) All the C7 screws I've got have been <0.001" backlash... even after a fair bit of use.
    Interesting, they must be well within limits.
    Also, I'm not sure, but I reckon the delrin nuts will be a lot more 'springy'.
    Of course, delrin is about 50 times more "springy" than steel but the springs in antibacklash nuts should compensate.
    Either way for a mill your best off using two ballnuts with a spring in between to eliminate backlash (google it).
    A bit beyond my budget. It would also reduce table travel too much.
    2) No, luckily that's not right. The stepper motor torque is vector sum of the motor winding currents, so 1.41 (root 2) for full step and 1.00 for a microstep drive. However that doesn't apply now as for over 10 years microstepping drivers have used morphing, distorting the waveform from sine/cos to closer to square to achieve the full torque.
    Sorry, I don't understand this but my electrical engineering degree was obtained 44 years ago. I'll have to do more reading! Can you give me a technical reference?
    3) Advantage for ballscrew as the higher pitch means screw angular velocity is much less, so the inertia and thus the energy the motor has to impart into the screw is a lot less. May not be that significant compared to the relatively high coefficient of friction of dovetail slides, but definitely is on a machine with rolling bearing slides.
    Agreed, inertia is not a concern for a small mill with dovetail slides.
    4)Ballscrew definately wins ... hardened metal rolling versus hard steel *sliding* on plastic!
    Agreed, ball screws will wear much less but is it significant for a hobby machine?

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Russell.

Russell i will vouch for TR and use 16x4 with no problems at all. I cut the thread on Acetal with a home made tap and when oiled works really well. The truth is i can replace these nuts 60 times over before catching up with the cost of a ballscrew. Would suggest you buy stainless if you go that route ;-)

Like whats been said you could alway change it later (don't forget to make allowances for it in your conversion). And yes i use ballscrews too.....
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by russell View Post
    A bit beyond my budget. It would also reduce table travel too much.
    Assuming you're getting the ballscrews from linearmotionbearings2008 on eBay the extra ballnut is pretty cheap. I can't remember exactly but I think it's less than $30 for an extra ballnut.

Sorry, I don't understand this but my electrical engineering degree was obtained 44 years ago.
    Mine should be obtained in almost 3 years. Looks like I'll have to wait until the final year for the module containing stepper motors, sigh.

I'll have to do more reading! Can you give me a technical reference?
    Err...not without using Google which I'm sure you can do. But I will explain a little more fully.

I said originally that the stepper motor torque is the vector sum of the motor winding currents (common sense really). More precisely it is proportional to the phase currents, up to magnetic saturation of course, but that is irrelevant to this discussion. For full step the rated current is applied to both phases, call it 1 amp, so the vector sum of those is:(1^2+1^2)^0.5=2^0.5=1.41
    When microstepping a sine wave is applied to one phase, and cosine to the other phase. So the vector sum of those is:
    (sin(x)^2+cos(x)^2)^0.5
    Using the trig identity sin(x)^2+cos(x)^2=1,
    (sin(x)^2+cos(x)^2)^0.5
    =(1)^0.5=1

Hence the torque when microstepping would be 1/1.41=0.71 times what you get with a full step drive.

But, to avoid this (and due to other effects such as resonance damping / motor not ideal) the waveforms are not pure sinusoids. They are distorted to be closer to a square wave, and hence you get close to the full torque. Some drivers now revert to a full-step drive at higher speeds anyway, so clearly they must get the full torque.

Hope that helps, or maybe expanding my previous post was just stating the obvious...

Thread Information